OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Compattibility with MS Word

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgeohagan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Compattibility with MS Word Reply with quote

I recently sent an OO document to a word user in RTF format. When they opened the document the line spacing went from double space (this is the set up I used) in the first paragraph to single space (not what I used) in the rest of the essay. This will become a graded assignment soon... Is there a fix?

First time user
Rod
marknelson
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what I do when I email an English assignment final draft to my self at work is first export to PDF which anyone can read. Then I open it at work and print it out and then give to the teacher. Exclamation Exclamation
floris_v

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtf support in OOo isn't very good. It's better to send in Word format. Even then you can sometimes get compatibility problems.
st_ingvar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been having exactly this same problem. as a fiction writer i frequently have to submit to various markets in RTF. converting ODT to RTF makes the standard double-spaced manuscript format turn into single-space, and then back into double-space, seemingly at random.

the same thing even happens when cutting and pasting the text to another program.

what i've been doing is saving as a doc, and then using MSwordpad to convert to RTF. this is pretty annoying, and essentially my only complaint with the whole open office suite.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preamble: Isn't RTF, an original MS format?

We can do nothing about that here. We are users like you, not developers. What I do suggest is that if it were I with the same need, I'd use the software that works for me. I gave up woodworking due to an accident, and my neighbour's son wanted to buy my old table saw which I'm selling cheap. I told him to go forth and buy a brand new one instead. Sure, the old one worked, but if he took it, he'd have nothing but complaints. I always advise to use the tools necessary to get the job done, not to save a dollar. So, he's buying a brand new one ...a good one, and it will last him all his life, and he can do fine woodworking, not just cut wood. It's a matter of personal choice. Trying to, and expecting to have a document to be fully functional [and free] in all and any of several formats is not going to happen quickly.

People are not expecting MS to be compatible with OpenOffice, so why expect OpenOffice to be compatible with MS? It would be great if the recipient would use OpenOffice an accept OpenOffice documents ...and why not? But if they don't then don't use OpenOffice and expect it to serve the purpose. OpenOffice, as far as I'm concerned, is simply a really, REALLY good free office suite that serves my purpose. When it doesn't, I'll get what does. It's the purpose that matters. Complaining does nothing. Use whatever works. Get the job done. Stop complaining, and enjoy what you are doing instead. Life's too short. If your recipient demands Doc, or RTF, then buy and use the MS suite.

I was in a bog box store some time back. The 12 year old clerk informed me that if I could find a better price somewhere else, they'd match it. I told him that if I could find a better price somewhere else, I'd shop there. See, it's really just a matter of making a personal decision. I'm shopping for myself, not for them. I don't need OpenOffice to match MS Office. I need to use software that works for me, and it does so far.

David.
Denni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adage that you get what you pay for is certainly true.

I'm with st_ingvar here. For months I have submitted manuscripts in standard format saved as rtf—as requested by the editors—and prided myself on my professionalism, only to eventually receive feedback, rather than a form rejection:

Quote:
On a formatting note, the ms was a little difficult to read because of its lack of either line breaks or indented paragraphs --

The manuscripts look pretty when I open them in OOo, and only when I opened them in Wordpad did it become clear what had happened to the formatting. Sadly I can't use Wordpad/Jarte to format headers, or I would never have installed OOo in the first place. I prefer to work with simple applications.

The issue here is that OOo has lured me in with its seeming professionalism when it is nothing of the sort, and has made me look decidedly _unprofessional_.

I think OOo should come with a health warning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: