OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Imbedding Subforms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Imbedding Subforms Reply with quote

I have a data base to keep track of company information. Within this data base I have three sets of tables that should be linked to one another with appropriate relationships. All of the information works well in queries but I am unable to create a teired form. This is how it should work;

A client has a or many projects.
A project has a or many project details.
A project detail has a or many services and/or products.

I was able to link project details with services and/or projects in a form through the form navigator. That worked quite well and was pretty easy once I learned of the tool. That's about as far as I can go as far as forms go.

I know that all of my relationships are good because all of my formulaic queries work well - all of the calculations show up correctly and in the appropriate places. I just need the forms to work.

In my efforts, I have been able to produce form/subform/subform/subform but I cannot house the information independant of it's parent except in the case of 'project details' and 'services and/or products'. By this I mean that I can have record number 2 of project details displayed during the entire time that I am entering the service and/or product details; as I am looking at one project detail I am simultaneously viewing all of the components that make up that detail. I hope that this is clear.

In the more global cases I must move from the projct in order to access a new project detail. (i.e. I am looking at project 1 with it's first detail displayed and am ready to move to the next detail. I must move to a new project (therefore a different reference number) in order to input the next detail for that project.)

I had read that I should be able to access all of my created forms through the forms navigator - and I thought that i could create the tiers that way - but the only forms visible with that tool are the ones created within the form. I thought that I had done something wrong so I viewed the navigator in other forms and even created a new trial data base. In each case I could only view the forms created within the open form through the forms navigator.

My final consideration is that I am certain that I can create an openform macro and link the fields that I need to. But I don't want to if I don't have to. Creating macro's is arduous, it's been a really long time since I've put forth the effort, and I've only created them in MS products. Recording macros (as an alternative to writing them) is just irritatingly limited to me - or as I remember the process.

Any input or guidance would be great.

Thanks
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Quote:

I had read that I should be able to access all of my created forms through the forms navigator - and I thought that i could create the tiers that way - but the only forms visible with that tool are the ones created within the form. I thought that I had done something wrong so I viewed the navigator in other forms and even created a new trial data base. In each case I could only view the forms created within the open form through the forms navigator.

The form navigator is only for one document and not for more documents. The word form is used for two different things.
    A writer document.
    What you see in the form navigator. It acts like a query for OOo. And see it in the same way as a directory tree in the Explorer.

So if you have two writer documents with one of more forms. The form navigator displays the form from the current document. It is important to understand the form with Base

You are talking about openform. If you like programming macros you can use a macro but I think the best way is to use Switchboard. If you want use macros most macros are on this forum
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=80204&highlight=switchboard

For more information read posts of Voobase
http://www.geocities.com/rbenitez22
Read the tutorial about forms
If you want know thing about SQL read post of Sliderule.
tutorials: http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb1main.htm

I'm not sure if I understand you correct.
I hope this helps you and it seems hard to be change from MS office to OOo office
Romke
Kalaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

This was very good information - I appreciate your time. Do you know if there is any information regarding creating a heirarchy of forms/sibforms that operate independently of one another (while still linked)?

Thanks again for your time!

Kalaine
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I will repeat one thing about the word form. The reason is that my firs post was not clear. This morning I did answer you and I was testing how to edit the text. Now I see it was not clear.

The word form is used for two diferent things:
1) A writer document
2) The forms you see in the form navigator.

Now your new question. I do understand your question so: Can you make two main form in one writer document. The answer is yes. The two main forms are independent of each other but both can have an own tree of subforms. What I did tell in my first post that the form navigator looks like the explorer. You can make more mainforms and a lot of subforms.

I will give an example. I knew it is not what you want.
You have a mainform with a subform. That generated a grid. And that record in that grid does have a description. A description is better to see in a textbox. Now make in that subform also a textbox for the description. Now if you select a record in the grid you see the description who belong to the record you select in the grid in the textbox.

Also it possible to make a subform below the first subform. You select a record in the grid and in the subform below the grid there is changing some thing. The main form is unchanged

I always talk about one subform. There is no reason you only one subform in a form.

I hope this helps
Romke
Kalaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I may not understand this correctly, so please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that I can attach a text control to a data source (table) that is not displayed on the current form as long as there is a link (parent/child capability)?

That would be interesting if I am understanding you correctly.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your attention to my inane questioning.

Kalaine
Kalaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: I figured it out Reply with quote

this was so incredibly simple that I feel a little (hmmm) - it was truly a drag and drop procedure, no coding involved.

Here is the way that I discovered (uncovered):

Create the form based on the the most senior table/query that you want to be apart of the form. My case is 'Clients'.

Every other action happens within the current form and forms navigator.

Create the subform and link it to the next level (down) of information. At this point, there are no controls, but you create the controls in the the first form and drag them to the second form in the forms navigator. This was somewhat evident to me when I originally asked my question, but it hadn't occured to me to create the navigation button and place it the same way.

This really was crazy simple. In my trial I created 5 levles: Customers: Projects:ProjectDetails: Services/Products:Catagories. Each customer displayed open projects, each open project displayed all details involved with that project, each detail displayed the product/service/cost, and each subdetail displayed the appropriate catagory.

I really appreciate all of the input that I got and hope that this helps anyone else looking for answers abot forms.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

First, I'm glad it enjoys you what wrote. And I think other people will read it maybe

In this post I do use the word form in the meaning as you see it in the form navigator

Difference between a form and a control.

How to select a control who is made by a wizard. Those controls are most of the time grouped with two controls. A textcontrol and a labelcontrol.
Press first the control-key on the key-board and at the same time click left mouse, now a single control is select. Now you can select a single control.

If you select a control then right click. In the popup you choose between the properties of a control or a form.

You can also use the form navigator for selecting single controls.

What is the difference.
The properties of the form give you the possibilities to choose which table or query you want have. I do only talk further a bout table while it can also be a query
The control who is inside a form give you the possibilities which field you want have. You can only choose a field in the table of the form.

You can with a normal text box only display fields who belong to the form. With listbox and combobox you have more capabilities but for the most users it is better when you use them that you also use the wizard, until you understand it. To switch on and of click on the toolbar a yellow symbol. On the same toolbar there is a button for more control.

Quote:
I may not understand this correctly, so please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that I can attach a text control to a data source (table) that is not displayed on the current form as long as there is a link (parent/child capability)?
I did think I have answer the question in this current post, but answering the same question on an other way can help for understanding.
If the form has that text field and that text field is not displayed in the grid as the example was then you can draw a textcontrol and connect it to that textfield. I use sometime the word control and the other time the word field. I want make clear with a field I point to the table and with a control I point to the form. On that place they come together.

You can have a form without any control. I did say that you can look to the form navigator as to the explorer. You can have a directory without any file. So you can have a form without any controls.

I hope this helps you and for me I it is a good training in writing down what I knew about forms and controls so I is pleasure to me.

Romke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: