OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to make a new page start on a fresh sheet of paper?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bottlehall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: How to make a new page start on a fresh sheet of paper? Reply with quote

Hi

I've been using OOO writer for a long time. However, I run a school's reports system and need to generate a document that contains around 20 children's reports. Each child's report is two or three pages long and (obviously) needs to begin on a fresh sheet of paper.

I still have to use Word to do this last bit of formatting as I can't find a way of doing it in Writer. Sadly, it is very easy in Word! You simply insert/break/section break/odd page.

The only headway I have made in Writer is to create a page style to ensure a 'right'' page is used. However, this seems to make every page print on the right page, not just the first.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Nick
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a "first page" style that automatically starts on the right page, which automatically switches to a "next page" style.

Each time a new report is to start, you insert a "manual break with change in page style to the 'first page' style".

You can apply such a break automatically with a paragraph style. Suppose each report begins with a style "ReportTitle". Setup that paragraph style so that it inserts the desired page break.

It is a bit complicated to understand first, but once you get the grasp, these combined features are actually more powerful than in MS Word. Once set-up, all you need to do is to apply the "ReportTitle" paragraph style to have all necessary changes done automatically.
bottlehall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you very much for the info. It works absolutely perfectly and, as you say, is much more powerful than Word.

As I have to pass the completed document over to a secretary for printing (who won't use ooo, but that's another story), I have to save the document in Word format at the end anyway. I tried a four page test document saved as XP/2007 doc format and loaded it up in that version of Word. After a few seconds, Word started adding pages. When it got to more than a 100, I closed it down! I guess there must be a fault in the way writer exports this to word format.

Thanks again

Nick
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It you need to pass on for printing, export to PDF. That way, you will be sure that the printout will match exactly irrespective of the operating system or the printer used.
keme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottlehall wrote:
[ ... ] I tried a four page test document saved as XP/2007 doc format and loaded it up in that version of Word. After a few seconds, Word started adding pages. When it got to more than a 100, I closed it down! I guess there must be a fault in the way writer exports this to word format.
I didn't think Writer could export to Office 2007 format. When I need MS Office formatted documents I always use the 97/2003 version, which has worked every time.

Not sure if I used page styles extensively, though, or paragraph styles with automatic breaks. There are some differences between the Office suites when it comes to style handling.

Still, if the copy sent to printing does not need to be editable, the previously suggested PDF solution is clearly better.
bottlehall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes, the document needs to be editable to have the last comments put in. The bulk of the report is written by teachers contributing to a website. I then copy the html and paste into oowrtier.

I think I'll go down the route of trying to export from the website directly into odt and I'll try the older format of Word rather than XP/2007 - it has always done strange things with an image embedded at the start of each report saving it into the Word format.

Thanks again

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: