OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Transferring files between computers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CottonRLS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Transferring files between computers Reply with quote

This is bizarre, but it keeps happening to me. I have a spreadsheet file on one computer at work that I regularly save to a zip drive, bring it home, work with it there, save back to zip and copy it back to the work computer from the zip drive. Through different version of OO, this has worked reliably for me for over two years now.

What's been happening recently is quite strange. I will save a copy of the file to the zip drive at work and verify that it has been fully copied by loading it again (it loads in full-edit mode) and verifying in the directory listing that the full 34-40K of info is there on the drive.

I take it home and load up the zip drive and navigate to the file listing. Calc the presents me with a dialog box asking for the configuraton of the data in the file, character set and the like, tries to open it and then no data appears. When I check the directory the file now has 0 bytes and is marked read-only.

Both installations are the same version of OO(3.0.1) and both are running XP.

Any ideas would help at this point.
fruitjam
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question. One presumes this particular spreadsheet has been saved in .ODS format; and is maintained in that format.

Would you be able to post a copy of this spreadsheet with a few sample data in it so that it is possible to make a separate check on the issue being faced by you?
CottonRLS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the problem licked. It was evidently a file fragmentation problem, rather than anything OO did or did not do. I didn't realize it until I rebooted my system with the zip drive in the slot and Windows found a fragmentation problem with the drive. Defragged the drive and subsequent file writes and reads went smoothly.

Cotton
fruitjam
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CottonRLS wrote:
I think I have the problem licked. It was evidently a file fragmentation problem, rather than anything OO did or did not do. I didn't realize it until I rebooted my system with the zip drive in the slot and Windows found a fragmentation problem with the drive. Defragged the drive and subsequent file writes and reads went smoothly.

Cotton

I cannot imagine as to why this would happen in case of OpenOffice. I have not experienced similar issues when using Microsoft Office. Confused

But thanks for posting the solution. Very Happy

P.S.: Could you please add [SOLVED] at the beginning of your post's Subject line? That would be an invaluable addition for those who are searching to solve problems such as this one. Smile
CottonRLS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: SOLVED Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: