OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED]Question about Queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MjrTeez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Question about Queries Reply with quote

I created 2 queries. the first is based on all records that have an appointment date
The second is based on records that have the current date (today)
I am having a couple of problems.
1: The All Appointment date record shows all records even if they don't have a date
How do I filter the query so that records w/o an appointment date are not listed??
2: How do I filter the report generated from this query to only show appointments from today forward?

I am totally new to this program and muddling my way through. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Kent

Last edited by MjrTeez on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent:

Welcome to the universe of OpenOffice Base.

You have indicated that you are 'new' to this program . . . and . . . I will assume using a database.

Therefore, I would like to recommend . . . you check out the videos ( each one is short, just a few minutes ) showing some very simple uses of OpenOffice and databases. These videos were created by Dai, an OpenOffice user. In my opinion, for a beginner learning something about databases, these video tutorials are very helpful. The website below shows his OpenOffice Video Tutorials . . . and you might be especially interested in No 343 - Creating a Query

http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=AXggL6j0a

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
lithops
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:

1. <> 0

2. > Today()

in the date field of the criterion part of the query.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI ( For Your Information ) . . . if you are using the 'default' database engine ( HSQL ) in OpenOffice Base ( you can confirm this by looking at the status line - if it says HSQL database engine ) . . . the available 'functions' can be found at either:
  1. http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/guide/ch09.html#N1251E
  2. http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Built-in_functions_and_Stored_Procedures

Therefore . . . TODAY() is NOT a valid function. But, the following are available:
  1. CURRENT_DATE - Returns the current date CURRENT_DATE = 09/01/07
  2. CURRENT_TIME - Returns the current time CURRENT_TIME = 10:44:28 PM
  3. CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - Returns the current timestamp CURRENT_TIMESTAMP = 09/01/07 10:34 PM
  4. CURDATE() - Returns the current date. This is the current system date on your PC. CURDATE() = 09/01/07 NOTE - The parenthesize are required.
  5. CURTIME() - Returns the current time CURRENT_TIME = 10:44:28 PM NOTE - The parenthesize are required.
  6. NOW() - Returns the current date and time as a timestamp use of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP instead is suggested NOW() = 09/01/07 10:34 PM

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
MjrTeez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all your help!!! Reply with quote

I am new to Base but not databases, though I will admit I am a little lost, the last time I used Access was 1998. I fooled around with CURTIME() and then came across another post with an equation for date diff. Worked like a champ after I adapted it slightly.
Now only current records with a appointment show up. today and forward 300 days in my report.
The statement is this.
WHERE "Appointment" >= CURDATE( ) AND DATEDIFF( 'dd', CURDATE( ), "Appointment" ) <= 300

Thanks again!!

Now if I could figure out how to make a weekly and or monthly Calendar layout report that would be trick.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent:

I appreciate that you have marked this item as SOLVED, for others looking at a similar question / solution. Thank-you.

You did add, in your post above:

Kent wrote:
Now if I could figure out how to make a weekly and or monthly Calendar layout report that would be trick.

Just as an FYI . . . in the two links I gave above for HSQL functions . . . a few that might be of interest to help with the 'grouping' in your report . . .

MONTH("Appointment") - returns the month (1-12)
WEEK("Appointment") - returns the week of this year (1-53)
DAYOFWEEK("Appointment") - returns the day of the week (1 means Sunday)

I hope this helps, and, continued success in using OpenOffice Base.

Sliderule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: