OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED]calculated fields

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]calculated fields Reply with quote

I am in the process of migrating from Lotus Approach. I need some help please. My question is: Is it possible in a view or query to create calculated columns based on other calculated or aggregated columns? I have a database of all the holidays we have ever been on. There are two tables "basic_info" and "spend_data", the link field is "start_date", there is a one to many relationship between them.

In my final summary view I have a column "full_price" which is an addition of fields from "basic_info" and "total_spending" which is a summed value of "amount" from "spend_data", the view is grouped by "start_date".

I need to add "full_price" and "total_spending" together to yield "total_cost" and to divide this by "length" to give "total_cost_per_day".

This last step is defeating me. Any ideas please. I realise I can put the view into Calc and do it there but this is a cop out and not convenient or elegant.

Thanks in anticipation Geoff Paul

Last edited by geoff_paul on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
big_cheez
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: calculated fields Reply with quote

Sorry, I couldnt follow what fields were where but here goes ...

If your querying only only table here is the basic syntax:
SELECT "field1" + "field2" AS "result1", ("field1" + "field2") / "field3" AS "result2" FROM "table"

If you dealing with two tables you need to add more to the query:
SELECT "table1"."field1" + "table2"."field2" AS "result1", ("table1"."field1" + "table2"."field2") / "table1"."field3" AS "result2" FROM "table1", "table2"

clear as mud?
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: calculated fields Reply with quote

Sorry if it wasn't clear. "full_price" is generated in "prices_VEW, it is an alias for ("basic_price"+"extras"+"pre_buy_trips") all from the "basic_info" table. "total_spend" is generated in "full_cst_sumry_VEW" Grouped by "start_date" and is an alias for the SUM of "amount" from the "spend_data" table.
GP
big_cheez
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if you saw my original reply before i edited it but ...
the above query format should work (without trying to exactly match your needs)
change them as needed, reference the views & queries same as tables
does this answer things?

Confused my head is beginning to hurt Smile
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Big-cheez, somehow I have got a bit out of phase with replies but I thank you for your interest.
To explain my problem using your example the question becomes how does one generate say "("Result1" + "Result2") and further (("Result1" + "Result2")/"table1"."fieldx")?
Geoff Paul
big_cheez
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff_paul wrote:
Hi Big-cheez, somehow I have got a bit out of phase with replies but I thank you for your interest.
My fault for the sync problem, edited my original reply, you saw first version.
geoff_paul wrote:

To explain my problem using your example the question becomes how does one generate say "("Result1" + "Result2") and further (("Result1" + "Result2")/"table1"."fieldx")?
Are you creating one query, then building another query off that, or will this all be in a single query?
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have is:
2 tables - "basic_info" and "spend_data"
and
4 Views - (1) "b_i_chrono", (2) "prics_VEW", (3) "spending_VEW"
and (4) "final_cst_sumry"
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]calculated fields Reply with quote

Problem solved! My thanks go to "slide-rule" for the solution. In the Base Thread "Calculated Fields and If-Then-Else" there was the following:
"[quote="sliderule"]kcheek:

What you have said in the above post, is all true . . . at least . . . to the best of my knowledge.

Now, if it were me ( infamous last words ) . . . what I would do, is:

Create a VIEW . . . that is . . . a VIEW where you have 'calculated' your average . . . including the Primary Key to your table.

This way, you could 'link' the VIEW and your TABLE in a query. So, you will have available, from the VIEW, the 'calculated average' as a field, so, you can than perform your additional calculations, without having to 're-calculate' the average multiple times.

I hope that helps, and, Welcome to the Universe of OpenOffice Base. Smile"

This is exactly what I did and it worked, however It would be a boon if there was a field type "calculated" - any hopes?

Thanks again

Geoff Paul
geoff_paul
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]calculated fields Reply with quote

Ihave solved my problems with this topic. See previous post.
Geoff Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: