OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with footnotes style (before and after fields)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck McKnight
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Problem with footnotes style (before and after fields) Reply with quote

I am trying to format my footnotes so that they are lowercase letters enclosed in parentheses.

To accomplish this, I am adding an opening parenthesis to the "Before" field and a closing parenthesis to the "After" field of the Footnotes settings. This effectively changes the style for the footnote itself; however, I am primarily concerned with changing the style of the footnote anchor in the actual text. Unfortunately, it does not affect that at all. It just appears in the text as a superscript letter with no parentheses.

How can I fix this?

I am running OOo 3.1.0 build 9339 on Windows 7 RC.

Thanks for the help!
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably just insert the braces at both sides of the footnote anchor, i.e. insert the braces manually.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with footnotes style (before and after fields) Reply with quote

Chuck McKnight wrote:
I am trying to format my footnotes so that they are lowercase letters enclosed in parentheses.

To accomplish this, I am adding an opening parenthesis to the "Before" field and a closing parenthesis to the "After" field of the Footnotes settings. This effectively changes the style for the footnote itself; however, I am primarily concerned with changing the style of the footnote anchor in the actual text. Unfortunately, it does not affect that at all. It just appears in the text as a superscript letter with no parentheses.

How can I fix this?

I am running OOo 3.1.0 build 9339 on Windows 7 RC.

Thanks for the help!

I think you're out of luck. It does not look like one can add to the anchor style. Why the [ ] anyway? I would normally interpret something like [1] in the text as a reference not a footnote although I suppose using letters gets around this.
Chuck McKnight
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I'll just have to do it manually then. (Maybe a good suggestion for a feature to add to future versions?)

The reason I need the parentheses is because the project I am working on includes a ton of different types of special notations, and I need something else specific to set apart the footnotes and make them distinct. But yeah, I guess manually will work.

Thanks for the replies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: