OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Sharing OOo base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relee1950

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Sharing OOo base Reply with quote

I have set up a parts data base and it works fine on my ubuntu 8.04 hardy system. When I copy it to the server using again ubuntu 8.04 with Samba it will not open and give me the OOo input screen and base is not one of the files. If I copy to any other location on my PC its ok and if I move to other windoz machine via usb stick it works. We need to be able to open and add, or read data from the one master file on server. What is needed?
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

OOo-base cannot act as server.
Read post of Villeroy about this subject.
The forms must be accessible for all users and the database must be separated from database.odb
You have to install a separated database engine of your choice and needs

http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlDocsFrame.html

Romke
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the file can be opened wherever you locate it in the local file system, then the file should also open provided the samba share is mounted in the local file system. If you use nautilus to do the mounting, the samba share will be mounted in a hidden directory ".gvfs" under your home directory.

In nautilus, reveal hidden files ("View - Hidden files", hotkey Ctrl+H). navigate to your .gvfs folder which you will find in your home directory, and find the mount point (=directory) of the samba share. Navigate inside that directory to find your base table. It will now open correctly.

If you navigate to your share using the icon for it, you are relying on gnome userspace rather than the real file system. Ooo obviously does not know about that.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First make your choices....

I would welcome comments from the experts.... people who KNOW whether any or all of theis is EXACTLY right... I'm offering some things I'm "pretty sure" are right...

a) The simple option... well, first one past just using ooBase on a single PC.

If the following would be acceptable, it may be do-able....

You could, I think, have your ooBase database on a central computer, part of your LAN. (It wouldn't have to be a "server".

As long as only one person wanted to work with the database at a time, I think they could do so from other computers on the LAN, across the LAN... so different people could use the database from different PCs, and anything anyone did would be "there" when the next person connnected... but they can't connect AT THE SAME TIME.

To make this happen, you will need to overcome various routine permissions-for-across-the-LAN issues, nothing to do with ooBase, probably no big deal in principle, but perhaps tedious in practice.

(Experts needed: Is that right under Windows? Any different under Linux?)

b) The fancy option:

If you want it to be possible for more than one person to interact with the database AT THE SAME TIME, then you have no choice:

You will have to put a "bigger" database onto a computer somewhere on the LAN. It will be "serving" the database, so has to be a "server" in some senses of the word, but don't let that put you off. For modest needs, a simple LAN client running Windows XP can do the job. You don't need a dedicated "server", i.e. specially spec'd computer running a complex (expensive) operating system.

The good news is: Unless you choose your "bigger" database badly, your users can still use ooBase to get at the data in the database. In a simple world, it is like this: The TABLES are on the server, but everything else is written under ooBase (as if the tables were local) on the client machines (queries, forms, reports), and the users use the database almost like they used a standalone ooBase database. More on this in a moment.

You could, for instance, use MySQL for the "bigger" database. This is opensource and free, like OpenOffice, Firefox, and other Good Things. There are installation packages to set up what you need on the computer that will "serve" the data.... both for Linux and the other operating system. Those systems called (generically) LAMP and WAMP, respectively. (I like the WAMPServer version of the latter, but I don't have wide experience in the area.

There is MUCH more on this at...

http://sheepdogguides.com/fdb/fdb9mysql1.htm

Coming back to multi-user use of the database...

You do have to worry about things like.....

Suppose you are updating a mailing list database, and you have the data open in a data sheet view. The system has, I hope, record level locking. If you try to change the address for, say, Fred Bloggs, it would be no good if another operator on another machine tried to change the same record at the same time you were changing it. The "record level locks" should prevent this. When the first of you starts to alter the Fred Bloggs record, a "lock" is placed on it, and the other user is told "come back later" if they try to change that record at that time. The record is unlocked when you move to a different record. The locking and unlocking happens "invisibly".

Remember I said the data was being presented in data sheet form? Suppose you have Fred and Jane Doe's records visible. Suppose you just spent 30 seconds changing Fred's record. And during that time, someone elsewhere has been changing Jane's details. Will your screen show those changes immediately? No. What you have to do to refresh the display on your screen is something you will have to learn about, deal with.

Good luck...

And, experts, please "educate" me!......
relee1950

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good suggestions. Still not able to just copy the db over to the samba drive for some reason. Didn't make it clear all I am wanting to do is have a parts db that I can open on the samba drive or my parts man can open. It is not going to be edited by both but maybe read on one windoz machine or on my linux box. I just want to do a simple db with the needed forms that we both can open and use. Tks. And still going through your posts and checking out the link. Again TKS.
MSPhobe
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of you is going to be a "read only" user, would the folloing not work? An ooBAse database is, after all, entirely contained within just one file....

In the following any reference to "read only" refers only to how it is used, not to any restrictions imposed by the system... Although forms for "read only" users could be created to stop them accidentally modifying them... but the the read-only user's copy of the dtabase would still be open to deliberate malicious alteration... they could just edit a table directly, if they chose to, for instance. But, under the scheme below, only on their copy.

Have local copies of the database on each machine. (The "read only" copy would be a useful backup (for safety), apart from anything else.) "Read only" users would be taught how to start things up, and shown which forms were "for them". The user(s) responsible for editing data would have to learn not only how to edit the data, but also how to replace the copies on the other machine(s) any time the data had been edited.

Obviously, this work better in some circumstances than others. If there are many updates, which happen a few at a time, frequently, the overheads will be excessive. If updates are less frequent, or can be batched, the idea above works.

Oh... I suspect that users of the "read only" copy(s) will have to shut down their session at any time an updated database file is being distributed.
relee1950

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS, Thanks for your time and efforts. I would like to be able to just put the db on the server. But every time i try it will not run. it comes up showing the forms but when you try to open it says that the db URL is wrong and it then opens the form but no data. Trying to go to the tables is the same thing. driving me nuts as it should be stand alone. tried changing mode, group and same thing. may have to give up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: