OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

using Spanish punctuation and accent marks, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbemge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: using Spanish punctuation and accent marks, etc. Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a Spanish teacher (basic grade 7)who is trying to find an easy way to add those upside down question marks, exclamation marks, the tilde over the 'N' and the 'n' and the accent marks over various vowels when I set up quizzes or any documents. I used to be able to just hit "alt" and a series of 4 numbers for each "character" (punctuation mark etc.) which I taped in front of me for ease of using them.(I never could remember them- so taping a list was easier.) What can I do with open office? I am brand new to Open Office and would love to get this figured out before school starts again.
Corrine
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: using Spanish punctuation and accent marks, etc. Reply with quote

cbemge wrote:
Hi,
I am a Spanish teacher (basic grade 7)who is trying to find an easy way to add those upside down question marks, exclamation marks, the tilde over the 'N' and the 'n' and the accent marks over various vowels when I set up quizzes or any documents. I used to be able to just hit "alt" and a series of 4 numbers for each "character" (punctuation mark etc.) which I taped in front of me for ease of using them.(I never could remember them- so taping a list was easier.) What can I do with open office? I am brand new to Open Office and would love to get this figured out before school starts again.
Corrine

accentuate 1.0.0 seems to work quite well.
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/node/1294

I have not tried http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ComposeSpecialCharacters but it may be worth a look
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: How to input accents using another keyboard layout Reply with quote

Your operating system may support different keyboard layouts. I think this is the best way to type in a different language. It is faster than inputting codes, and it is what people who use that language do. Most systems allow you to switch keyboard layouts quickly with a key combination or a mouse click.

The Mexican keyboard layout uses the same letters layout as a standard English QWERTY keyboard, but allows you to input accented characters using keys around the periphery of the keyboard. You can also try the US international layout, or the Canadian international layout.

For Windows XP, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560.

For Windows Vista, see
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/765a7264-b593-4458-90cf-0d0713b5dfe61033.mspx.

For Ubuntu Linux using the Gnome desktop, change the layout with System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layouts.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to input a considerable amount of accented letters etc, then changing keyboard is undoubtedly, IMHO, the best way. On Gnome a right-click in your main tray, "Add to Panel ...", "Keyboard Indicator", should also get where you want.

If you only need to type in a few "special" characters, for example, when you type a name or title or whatever, AllChars, is very good on Windows. However, there does seem to be a problem with it and IE8 (and probably IE7) on Vista and Windows 7. On Linux (and Unix) look up the use of the "compose key".
edovie
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: using Spanish punctuation and accent marks, etc. Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
I have not tried http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ComposeSpecialCharacters but it may be worth a look

I use Compose Special Characters all the time with the keyboard shortcut Alt+X (you can set whatever you want, of course). It's a no-brainer. Install it. For the tilde do Letter+~, then the shortcut.

Windows XP
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.4
OpenOffice.org 3.1.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: