OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

using wizard to create query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuelprado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: using wizard to create query Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to oo and have never programmed in sql. I have been able to get around a bit doing queries with the wizard. Unfortunately, the criteria is very limited. I am able to do things such as "is equal to" or "less than" but I can't seem to find out how to do a query using the wizard that simply sets the criteria as "containing".

I have read other threads where sql code is suggested but I have no idea how to do that and as such would prefer to continue using the query wizard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Manuel
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel:

Welcome to OpenOffice Base.

You said:
Manuel wrote:
I am able to do things such as "is equal to" or "less than" but I can't seem to find out how to do a query using the wizard that simply sets the criteria as "containing".

The link below gives an explanation ( response from Sliderule ) of how to create a Query that I think will meet your needs / criterion. It includes 'graphics' with step-by-step instructions on a technique to create a Query - using LIKE to meet your "containing" needs.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=86096

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
manuelprado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: thanks... almost there... Reply with quote

Ok, that should do it... I have one other question along the same lines. How do you set the criteria as "not blank".

Thanks again for your help.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel:

You asked:
Manuel wrote:
I have one other question along the same lines. How do you set the criteria as "not blank".

Answer: on the Criterion line, enter:
Code:
IS NOT EMPTY

OR, to determine IF it is NULL, USE

IS EMPTY

Just to be clear, well, as clear as mud, this is saying . . . the contents are NOT NULL.

On the other hand, if the field was given a value -- with a length of ZERO characters ( rather than NULL ) . . . it should be entered as:
Code:
<> ''
above is '' . . . TWO Single Quotes, since, data BETWEEN two single quotes are TEXT LITERAL. Therefore, a TEXT LITERAL of zero length is denoted as '' .

For additional information on the topic, you can check the Base Help File ( F1 ) with the topic of:

criteria of query design (Base)

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me /us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.[/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: