OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is there any plan to Internationalized OOoForum.org

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Is there any plan to Internationalized OOoForum.org Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any plan on making this forum, multi-lingual. Open some Spanish, Portuguese, French, Chineese, German and Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I see there is no need for it, as most users speak english, that is the best way to help eachother.

if there would be like 100.000.000 users and there like 0.1% using this forum, it could be an option, but right now, I don't see it going multinational
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
intman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartgymnast wrote:
as far as I see there is no need for it, as most users speak english, that is the best way to help eachother.

if there would be like 100.000.000 users and there like 0.1% using this forum, it could be an option, but right now, I don't see it going multinational

Of course you don't see the need for it, people speaking languages other than english simple won't post messages in other languages here.

Many people do understand English, but the fact is, many many more don't. Many people around learn english as a second language, but they might not have the skill to read and wirte technique question in this forum.

If you say, you don't have the resources to implement the forum in other languages, i can accept. But if you say most users speck english, so we don't need it, that i don't agree.

Openoffice is gaining attention especially in Europe and many other countries because of its "low/no cost" and opensource nature. To widen the user base, internationalize OO is the way to go.
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well I cant add more to what the last user just said. I agree with him a 1000% percent. YES I know 1000% is ten times more.

Anyway, just some actual success stories to back of the theory. One from the OpenSource camp, another from the Propietary camp.

OS- Mandrakeforums really experience a boom once they internationalized their forums. they actually multiply their imputs per day. YES Mandrake is a linux disto that has hindu on as well as many other languages out of the box. So why dont they have support for them.

Propietary- Macromedia, has succesfully grown in diversity with their language, actually have two spanish forums, one for spain and the other for latin america. And they both very active. If everyone speak english why would their be software rewriten in other languages. And why would there be Spanish-only schools in the US.

Last time I check Yung Yiang was an NBA All-Star starter, guess chineese only knew that word so they vote for that
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: