OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Creating a Register of Attendance??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RachaelCoulson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Creating a Register of Attendance?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm seeking to create a register of attendance as part of my database. I currently have records of activities run and records of participants' details.

I'd like to create a form that links them in the form of a register, i.e. including a vertical list of participants and a horiztonal list of activities that are part of a project (i.e. Project A = Activity (e.g. Workshop) 1, 2 + 3.)

I would like to have tick boxes for each, so I can view the attendance of a particular Participant over the course of the 3 workshops, view the attendance at a particular Activity (Workshop), or view overall attendance of the Project.

Can anyone help me with this? I feel fairly proficient with setting up forms to enter information into a table, including list boxes, date boxes, time boxes, etc. and running queries and reports on them. However, this appears to need more than one table at a time?? and I'm not sure what the process should be.

I don't speak the SQL tech lingo so simple instructions would be great!

Many thanks.
BrizPete
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need to break the form down into smaller queries/reports rather than have an 'all singing / all dancing' queriable view. i.e. a seperate query for each of the 'views' you mention.

You'ld need a Participant table, Activity table, project table and possibly another couple of linking tables.

e.g. I have a rugby club database which has a Players Table (name/address/etc) and a Match table (date/opponents/competition name/scorefor/scoreagainst)

To get the effect I think you want, I have a 3rd table Match Details, which links the other 2 tables. You'll need a similar table to link People to activites - you may need another seperate table to link Activities to Projects depending on what you really want.

You build your form on the Linking table and can use subforms or drop downlists etc to assist in populating the data - this is required because the link table just has key field (id) of the other tables.
RachaelCoulson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Creating a register of attendance?? Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for your help - I had followed your advice, with success!

Whoo!

Rachael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: