OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Opening an MS Access file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
photoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Opening an MS Access file Reply with quote

I have been using Open Office for almost a year and have enjoyed using it. For the first time I tried opening a microsoft access file in openoffice. Using the prompts I went thru the process at the end it said the file was not available/accessible. When trying to open the original file in access I get the same message.

Is my data lost? How can I access it? Anyone have any ideas or suggstions?

Thanks
Dan S.
fruitjam
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Is this mdb file protected by any password?

2. Which version of Access was used to create this mdb file?

3. What version of Access is being used by you now to open this mdb file?

4. Is it possible to post a copy of this file?

5. Which version of OpenOffice do you use; and what is the operating system being used?

6. How were you opening this mdb file in OpenOffice? Have you been using ODBC connectivity? Or was it through the "MS Access" option?

7. What was the last performed action, that you remember having taken, on this file?
lithops
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up trying to link to an Access file to Base. Now I copy and paste the Access tables into Base then create forms, queries and reports within Base. One can only import tables into Base. Perhaps someone has a better way of doing what you want.
fruitjam
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithops wrote:
I gave up trying to link to an Access file to Base. Now I copy and paste the Access tables into Base then create forms, queries and reports within Base. One can only import tables into Base. Perhaps someone has a better way of doing what you want.

Well we can link to Access MDB files, can't we? I mean when one opens OpenOffice Base, it presents us with a dialog box - one of the options in which, reads as Connect to an existing database.

As far as I can tell, there are more than one way to access an Access MDB file. Chief among them are the following two:

1. Microsoft Access.
2. ODBC.

In addition to these and a host of other options as well, for connecting to Microsoft Access 2007 files there is also an option: Microsoft Access 2007.

Personally, I prefer linking to MS Access files via ODBC connectivity on Windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: