OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Search Box Query / Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troyw3412

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Search Box Query / Reports Reply with quote

Hi folks:

I have scoured the web and the forums to see if I can find something that may be of assistance to this particular quandary...

I'm building a tenant tracking database for a client. And I'll be the first to admit that I am not a developer or database administrator in any way. But to maintain contact information for 200 tenants, I'm feeling that OpenOffice should be more than sufficient for this challenge...

Basically the task we are attempting to accomplish is this...

My customer wants to be able to generate a report based off of the tenant's last name. However, instead of seeing a complete list of all 200 tenants, if he were to type "Jones", he wants a report with information only on his tenants with the last name of Jones...

I've already created the main table this report will be pulling information from. Appropriately named "Tenants". Fields included in this table are: LotNum, FirstName, LastName, Address, City, State, Zip, HomePhone, MobilePhone, and BirthDate...

We are wanting information pertaining to the search to appear on the report... For example, if we search for the last name of Jones, we want to see a list of every Jones in the database, and listing the lot number, first name, address, etc...

I'm reading that different macros are needed, however, I'm not a programmer and all of this stuff is foreign to me. Perhaps someone can throw a few hints my way.

I'm grateful for any advice you fine folks can offer!

Thanks.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

You can also use the builtin search tools
see :
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=87782&highlight=search

Study the links to Villeroy's posts.

Romke
jeffs12
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider creating a report based on a parameter query. Start with this link

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=60975&highlight=parameter+query

or search the forum for "parameter query".
troyw3412

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: SOLVED! Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your help. I've been pulling my hair out for almost a week before posting my original inquiry. Unfortunately, I had gotten so frustrated with the whole thing that I just walked away from it.

After reading the referenced threads, RPGs reference was very helpful. I now have finalized the database and am ready to deploy with my customer tomorrow morning.

Thank you so much for your help! This is my first open source development attempt and I am excited to tackle similar projects in the future!

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: