OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page Corruption after setting page numbering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Page Corruption after setting page numbering Reply with quote

After setting my book manuscript to start page numbering from page 12 using the method below I save the document. When I reopened the document all pages from page 12 onwards only consisted on a header and footer. All the document text was missing. Have viewed the document in Neo Office, OPen Office and MS Word, but the text after page 11 has disappeared, the subsequent pages are only consisting of header and footer.

Any help to get the document back to the original condition would be appreciated.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
using the method below
???

What OS and version of OOo are you using?
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Details Reply with quote

OS10.5.8 Apple NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 14
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Details Reply with quote

philomind wrote:
OS10.5.8 Apple NeoOffice 2.2.5 Patch 14

Any luck with this from your other posts?
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Formating Reply with quote

THe pages that were modified from page 12 onwards disappeared when I reopened the file. They only consisted of header and footer.
I recovered the file by opening it in a text editor as a txt document. I have spent 2 days reformating it all.
THe formating now still seems all mixed up, whenever I edit or move anything all the line spacing of the proceeding paragraph changes. Have have to reformat 244 pages manually.
In general I need some Tyronol.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Formating Reply with quote

philomind wrote:
THe pages that were modified from page 12 onwards disappeared when I reopened the file. They only consisted of header and footer.
I recovered the file by opening it in a text editor as a txt document. I have spent 2 days reformating it all.
THe formating now still seems all mixed up, whenever I edit or move anything all the line spacing of the proceeding paragraph changes. Have have to reformat 244 pages manually.
In general I need some Tyronol.

Stick with vintage single malt Scotch.

If that file is not confidential you could post iffor others there to look at .

Handy places to post a file:
media fire http://www.mediafire.com/
or
mytempdir.com http://www.mytempdir.com
or
sendmefile.com
http://www.sendmefile.com/

Or if you want, you could send it to me to have a look at, but I suspect that you probably are more knowledgeable about computer programming etc than I am.
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Unstable formating. Reply with quote

The file seemed finally fine and I uploaded to the publishers web-site as a converted .doc file, but the Publishers conversion program rejected it due to corruption - whatever that means. I tried to re-save the file using both Neo Office and OPen Office, but after trying to upload again had the same problems.

I tried to load the file into a friends MS-Word but the formatting was severely corrupted, page setting and too numerous other formatting issues; but when the same file vas viewed in Open Office it seemed fine. I tried saving as different MS-Word formats with the same results.

Finally I saved the document as a rich text file, but on re-opening the rtf in Open Office all the formating was mixed up again, blank pages inserted, line spacing changed on some paragraphs, returns entered between lines.

Just wondering how to get a stable document. This file looks fine as a doc file in Open Office, it is how to save as a stable .rft or .doc file?

It seems the file is very unstable. This is the first time I have used a OPen Office for such a large file 244 page 50,000 words.

Any ideas how to stabilize this file would be welcome
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unstable formating. Reply with quote

philomind wrote:
The file seemed finally fine and I uploaded to the publishers web-site as a converted .doc file, but the Publishers conversion program rejected it due to corruption - whatever that means. I tried to re-save the file using both Neo Office and OPen Office, but after trying to upload again had the same problems.

I have head of one or two instances when an Calc to Excel file conversion was rejected but I cannot think of a Writer to Word one. Strange.

Quote:
I tried to load the file into a friends MS-Word but the formatting was severely corrupted, page setting and too numerous other formatting issues; but when the same file vas viewed in Open Office it seemed fine. I tried saving as different MS-Word formats with the same results.

Without looking at the file it is impossible to say what is happening. I suppose that you may be using something that OOo supports and Word does not but it does not sound like that.

Quote:
Finally I saved the document as a rich text file, but on re-opening the rtf in Open Office all the formating was mixed up again, blank pages inserted, line spacing changed on some paragraphs, returns entered between lines.

RTF does not support a lot of things that OOo does and the translators reportedly are much worse than the Writer > Word translators so this may not mean too much.

Quote:
Just wondering how to get a stable document. This file looks fine as a doc file in Open Office, it is how to save as a stable .rft or .doc file?

No idea. If it's not confidential posting it for others to see is probably the best approach.

Quote:
It seems the file is very unstable. This is the first time I have used a OPen Office for such a large file 244 page 50,000 words.

Oh that's large. OOo handles large documents with easy, Word is, apparently, notorious for blowing up when the document gets long. I wonder if that may be it?

Certainly lots of people have used OOo to produce large documents, at least with as many pages as your document.

What happens if you try to export it as a PDF ( using File > Export as PDF) ?
cynjut
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem "kind of" like this, in that I had highlighted a section of my document and accidentally deleted it.

When I publish my works to my publisher, I always send them as PDF files. I use a free PDF program called "PDFCreator". The only tricky parts are making sure that "Keep Blank pages" option is on and make sure you send the soft-fonts along. Also, you need to make sure the pagesize is correct for your publisher.
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: On going issue with formating Reply with quote

I tried to convert to pfd, but got blank pages, additional line returns in places they weren't in the original, different line spaces in some paragraphs etc. The other issue was the fonts were not embedded when converted to a pdf by OOo embedded fonts are necessary for the printer. I get the same result is I try to import into Adobe writer.

The file is for publishing a book so I wouldn't want to post it online.

Appreciate all the support.
cynjut
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: On going issue with formating Reply with quote

philomind wrote:
I tried to convert to pfd, but got blank pages, additional line returns in places they weren't in the original, different line spaces in some paragraphs etc. The other issue was the fonts were not embedded when converted to a pdf by OOo embedded fonts are necessary for the printer. I get the same result is I try to import into Adobe writer.

The file is for publishing a book so I wouldn't want to post it online.

Appreciate all the support.

That's why I use PDFCreator.

It imbeds the fonts and is a printer driver - if you like the way it comes out on paper, it should come out exactly the same in the PDF file.

The options are in the Advanced Section. Use softfonts, make sure the page size is correct, and make sure "keep blank pages" is turned on so that your chapter headers start on the right (not left) page.
philomind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Strange things happening with formating Reply with quote

Just to update the situation, I have been trying to format the document but after every save as as .doc things become unstable.

As cynjut stated a pdf is perfect, but how to get the contents into a pdf. A friends Adobe writer won't upload the file produced by OOo saying it is corrupted. If I save as a pdf from OOo the fonts are not embedded. When I upload the pdf to Adobe reader it shows missing pages, unspecified line break, various line spacing ect.

While I can save and open any changes saved as a .doc the formating is unstable. Inserted blank pages, line breaks, line spacing changed on some paragraphs that were fine when the file was opened previously. Recently the text is going weird, sometime some one line of text looks like the top of all the letters have been cut off; in other cases one line text looks bigger that the surrounding text, but looks fuzzy. These distorted text still show as specified for all text in the font and font size boxes. By hitting delete on a space then the space bar the text returns to normal.

My only concern or wish is how to get a stable document, then how to get it out of OOo into a stable uncorrupted .doc file.

I have never worked with such big documents before, 244 pages and 50,000 words.

When I save the file as .doc and import into Microsoft word again the document is seriously corrupted with the formating all over the place.

Any ideas how to save a stable document would be welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: