OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] New page, new number of columns. How do I do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

How do you change the number of columns on a page when starting a new page? I'd like to have a cover page with one column, then have two columns on the next page, then switch back to a single column.

I know it sounds odd, but I'm trying to assist my mother in using Writer to make a worksheet packet for her class, and doing a "matching" section is easiest with 2 columns.

She is used to Microsoft Word, but her HD crashed and when I installed a new HD, I found that her Office CD is scratched, and I have to ask around for somebody with the same version of Office 2000 to make me a copy. Maybe now she'll listen to me about making backups of her originals even if she doesn't use them all the time. This was the best solution I could come up with.

Last edited by slickrcbd on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
keme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "matching" you need, but most likely it's better to use a table with two columns instead of a column layout. With columns in running text, you will have text from a filled column flowing to the next column on the right. With a table, you can have blocks (table cells) to the left, and corresponding blocks on the right, which sounds more like "matching"...

(IIRC, WordPerfect has the "parallel columns" option to override the "normal" column behaviour, but Writer lacks this.)

If you still need to change between column layouts in a running document, I find that the easiest is to insert a new section. You can then specify columns in the section dialog, or alter it in the section with Format - Columns. I guess you can also use page styles for this, but that wouldn't be as flexible as using sections.

Last edited by keme on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to use page styles.

F11>page styles (second icon from right at top)

RIGHT click on "right page" and LEFT click on "Modify". This brings up a dialogue box with a number of tabs. Under "Organiser" change "next page to "left page", and under "Columns" select 1. OK

Go back to the page styles list and repeat on "left page" exchanging right for left of course and change the columns to 2.

If you are going to use this format often save as a template.

Pages will now alternate 1 col and 2 col. (To get to a new page it's <CTRL+ENTER> - I believe that's the same as in Word, although I don't use it myself.)

If you just want the first page to be single column and all the rest double do the same sort of thing using "First page".

Last edited by howard on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

slickrcbd wrote:
How do you change the number of columns on a page when starting a new page? I'd like to have a cover page with one column, then have two columns on the next page, then switch back to a single column.

I know it sounds odd, but I'm trying to assist my mother in using Writer to make a worksheet packet for her class, and doing a "matching" section is easiest with 2 columns.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. There are a couple of way to do this depending on exactly what you/your mother is trying to do. Assuming I understand the issue, I would not use columns, instead just insert a two column table. It is much easier to maintain matching text this way if you have several text selections on the page.

If you just need two pieces of text on the page then columns are okay. keme prefers using sections, I prefer using page styles. Both will give you much the same result.

To do this using page styles.
Bring up the Stylist ( F11)
Click on the page icon at top of stylist. 4th icon from left.
Right click on default and select New.
Give the new Style a name like 2Columns
Under the Columns tab select 2 columns
Save

To change from 1 column to 2 column do
Insert > Manual Break > Page Break > select 2column as the next style.
Et voilà, you have two columns

To reverse this, do the Insert ... and select the first style you have been using.

Continue till end of document Smile
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

slickrcbd wrote:
]I found that her Office CD is scratched, and I have to ask around for somebody with the same version of Office 2000 to make me a copy.

Someone needs to tell you that is illegal, [as are some scratched copies]. Just don't get caught. I knew of a school teacher once who was showing a copy of a movie in class. He thought is was perfectly OK since he was helping kids with their education after all. Unfortunately for him, one of the students' fathers was involved in the making of the movie. He lost his job and payed a large fine. Your choice, of course.

RE: Writer problem ... You might try using Frames for containing each type.

David.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Scratched discs etc Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone needs to tell you that is illegal, [as are some scratched copies]. Just don't get caught. I knew of a school teacher once who was showing a copy of a movie in class. He thought is was perfectly OK since he was helping kids with their education after all. Unfortunately for him, one of the students' fathers was involved in the making of the movie. He lost his job and payed a large fine. Your choice, of course.

Ah, teachers are notorious for this. I once attended a class on ethics where the prof photocopied the book for class use. Actually he may have had permission but somehow I doubt it. Smile
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much safer to stick with OOo, you are positively encouraged to distribute copies of that. Once you have learned to cope with the differences there's nothing most users can do on MSW that you cannot do in OOo, albeit sometimes differently.

I have never used MSW, I started a dozen or so years ago when I was given a copy of StarOffice 5.2 (anyone else remember the good old days?). Even when I was head of a university department I had no problems even though all around me were paying Bill Gates for his software. (I do actually admire what he does with the money, but prefer to make my charitable donations directly.) Now I use it (in its OOo manifestation) as editor of a small magazine.

There's lots of help available here and that's free too.

Getting a bit off topic aren't we!

Actually jrkr, in Canada we are allowed to copy portions of books for class use - but only a small portion - I forget what %.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howard wrote:

Actually jrkr, in Canada we are allowed to copy portions of books for class use - but only a small portion - I forget what %.

I believe 100% including the index IIRC, is a bit much. Smile
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

[quote="David"]
slickrcbd wrote:
]I found that her Office CD is scratched, and I have to ask around for somebody with the same version of Office 2000 to make me a copy.

She already owns a legal copy, but the CD no longer works. That is why I always make backups of my disks/CDs (I go back to 1988 when software came on disks and I still consider copy protection one of the worst inventions ever). I'm simply trying to find somebody with a copy of the same CD to make a backup for her with. I'm going to use HER product key and her license on her computer. Problem is most people are offering me Office 2003. It's not the copies but the licenses that is important, and she already has one.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

[quote="slickrcbd"]
David wrote:
slickrcbd wrote:

She already owns a legal copy, but the CD no longer works. That is why I always make backups of my disks/CDs (I go back to 1988 when software came on disks and I still consider copy protection one of the worst inventions ever). I'm simply trying to find somebody with a copy of the same CD to make a backup for her with. I'm going to use HER product key and her license on her computer. Problem is most people are offering me Office 2003. It's not the copies but the licenses that is important, and she already has one.

Ah yes of course; it sound okay.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

slickrcbd wrote:
That is why I always make backups of my disks/CDs (I go back to 1988 when software came on disks and I still consider copy protection one of the worst inventions ever). I'm simply trying to find somebody with a copy of the same CD to make a backup for her with. I'm going to use HER product key and her license on her computer.

I'm simply trying to tell you that is illegal. There is no other way to say it. I don't care personally [I might be 3000 miles away!], so I'm not trying to police, just advise.

You don't have to believe me. Contact MS and see what they think. I would. They might even send you a new disk if you can send them a photo of the original and the product key.

David.
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
slickrcbd wrote:

Sounds perfectly normal to me. There are a couple of way to do this depending on exactly what you/your mother is trying to do. Assuming I understand the issue, I would not use columns, instead just insert a two column table. It is much easier to maintain matching text this way if you have several text selections on the page.

If you just need two pieces of text on the page then columns are okay. keme prefers using sections, I prefer using page styles. Both will give you much the same result.

Save

To reverse this, do the Insert ... and select the first style you have been using.

This solution worked once for one document, but how do I permanently add the "2columns" choice to the list so that it isn't linked to any specific document, but something I can always pick if I want it?

I may not be doing 2 columns myself, but I tried to use that technique to make my own commonly-used style sets.
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: New page, new number of columns. How do I do this? Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
slickrcbd wrote:

Save

This solution worked once for one document, but how do I permanently add the "2columns" choice to the list so that it isn't linked to any specific document, but something I can always pick if I want it?

I may not be doing 2 columns myself, but I tried to use that technique to make my own commonly-used style sets, only to find they were gone when I went to use them in a new document today.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save a document with different columns settings as a template.
slickrcbd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floris_v wrote:
Save a document with different columns settings as a template.

Is there a "default template" I can open to add them to so I can ALWAYS have it available when I make a new document by choosing "new"? I'd like it available when I open Writer from the Quickstarter without going through the hassle of opening a template.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: