OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I use these bookmarks?????????????????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fantasy_Writer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: How do I use these bookmarks????????????????????? Reply with quote

I used to have Microsoft Word 6 years ago. I used to keep a dreamjournal on it. I made the first page a 'Table Of Contents' and had the titles of all the dreams listed and used what I remember as bookmarks to make a clickable thing where I could just click and that page would appear without me having to scroll through the whole document.

Much like links on a webpage type of thing.

How do I do this with Open Office?

I opened one of my old DJ and the bookmarks showed up but there is no way to use them. Help is not very helpful and does not tell me how to use bookmarks only that there is a mysterious bookmark tabs menu somewhere but not where it is.

Is there a better way to set up what I am talking about? I'd also like to do this with a table of contents in a story to click to a particular chapter rather than having to scroll.

Someone at a forum for Microsoft Works told me about Open Office as there is no bookmark feature in Works and I spent ALL NIGHT till 10:00 AM this morning downloading it.

After all that, I'd like to be able to actually use it.

Thanks

Smile
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, starting with a Word DL file, first open the Stylist (F11), select the entire document and apply either the Default or Text Body paragraph style by double clicking it. Close the Stylist.

Put your cursor in each dream title and change its paragraph style to Heading 1. If you look at the left side of the Formatting toolbar you will see a box that will either say Default or Text Body, click the drop down menu to apply Heading 1. By default all Heading 1 paragraphs will be picked up in your TOC.

Now do Insert > Indexes & Tables > Indexes & Tables > Entries tab. On the Structure line click in the first empty box and click the Hyperlink button. Click in another empty box and do the same. LS (link start) an LE (link end) should appear. Insert the TOC.

Because you're new I'll add a couple of FWIW remarks.
Ctrl+click you hyperlinks.
You can right click your TOC to Edit, Update or Delete.
Fantasy_Writer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must be not showing all the steps. All I get is a grey box with Table Of Contents in it and NO clickable links.

I just now tried to edit that text in the box and I got an error message saying that 'read only content cannot be changed. no modifications will be accepted.'

I was trying to do what you said with my old dream journal and I even right click properites to change the file from read only but it is not listed as read only so I do not know what the problem is.

There should not be any restrictions as this is a free program.

I did download a tutorial and I hope that is useful.
Fantasy_Writer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working with the tutorial. Everything worked EXCEPT any links. This should make links but THERE ARE NONE. In the sample document with the tutorial there are blue text hyperlinks that you click. This is what I want.

Am not sure. This thing says to click on 'F' THERE IS NO 'F'

"If you have already inserted the Table of Contents
1.Place the cursor anywhere in the Table of Contents and right-click. (A menu will appear,) Click Edit Index/table. (The Insert Index/Table window appears.)
2.To make the hyperlinks, click the Entries tab of the window, click to the left of the F and click Hyperlink, and click after the F and click Hyperlink again. Click All. Click OK.
3.After doing Step 2 , you will need to right-click in the Table of Contents and click Update Index/Table. Be careful not to click any of the hyperlinked text in the Table of Contents. Clicking on a blank space between the text and the page numbers is usually best. (The "Table "of Contents appears. '

THERE IS NO 'F'.
Fantasy_Writer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to click before the starting letter and then the very last letter not right after the 'F' or whatever letter you get THEN click all.

That is the only thing that worked.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Vista and OOo 3.1.1 from OpenOffice.org and my instructions work with it. Clicking All would apply the hyperlinks to other levels (Heading 2, etc.) but is not necessary for Level 1 (Heading 1).

What OS and version of OOo are you using?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your original question was how to make a hyperlink to a bookmark. Here's the answer to that one.

Put your cursor on in a blank line and type "See <spacebar>" and do Insert > Hyperlink. On the left click the Document icon and on the right click the target icon. In the new window open the Bookmarks item, select a bookmark, Apply & Close. In the original window you can go with what, if anything, is shown in the Text box or replace it with your own. Apply & Close again.

Problems I encountered:
I typed "dream one" in the Text box, after Apply & Close this text was selected and I had to tap an arrow key to unselect before doing anything else or it would be deleted (can get it back with Ctrl+Z).

When I tapped Enter after this text and typed on the new line it was underlined and in blue. I had to click the underline icon, delete the text, click elsewhere in the document and then back on my new line to "break out" of hyperlink mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: