OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Formatting paragraph spacings for different numbering levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfigura
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Formatting paragraph spacings for different numbering levels Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to set spacings (above/below numbered items) to vary on a numbered list by their level. For the most part, what this means is that I have to write multiple-choice exams (yuck), and would like to be able to set a 0.1" spacing automatically before level 1 items, but have no spacings above/below higher-leveled items. It should look like this:

1. Blah
a) blah
b) blah
c) blah

2 Foo
a) blah
b) blah
c) blah

3 Bar
(etc)...

I can't find a way to format this automatically, but only either manually set paragraph spacings line by line or just use blank lines. This is a kludgy way to do this - I'm sorely tempted to LaTeX my tests instead! Any ideas? Have I missed a formatting page that allows this? I know you can set margins by level, it would be GREAT to set above/below spacings by level as well.

Thanks!
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a conditional paragraph style for the numbered lists. With a conditional style, you can substitute a different style (which has the spacing) for the level 1 items.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a new Writer document and press F11 to open the Stylist. On the right side do New Style from Selection. Name it aQuestion. Right click it > Modify > Indents & Spacing tab and add the Spacing - Above paragraph.

Click the Outline & Numbering tab and attach the Numbering 1 numbering style. Click OK which should still leave you in the Stylist.

Double click the the aQuestion style and close the Stylist.

Your document should now contain 1. in the home position ready for you to type a question, but don't just yet. The Applied Style box to the left of the Formatting toolbar should read aQuestion. At this point save the document as template.

Now you can type a question and tap Enter. Notice the that Applied Sytle box now reads Default. When you are ready for your next question clicked the Applied Style's drop down menu and apply the aQuestion style.

Close your document but don't save the change just made or you will change the template.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP,

I don't follow your solution, could you give more detail? The term "conditional style" isn't familiar to me.

Always looking to learn something new.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
BillP,

I don't follow your solution, could you give more detail? The term "conditional style" isn't familiar to me.

Always looking to learn something new.

Create the aQuestion style and apply the Numbering 1 numbering style to it. Create a second new style (from the Default style) aList and apply the Numbering 1 numbering style to it. Before closing the Paragraph Style dialog, select the Condition tab. Check the Conditional Style option. Select 1st Numbering Level in the Context box. Select aQuestion in the Paragraph Styles box, then click Apply. Now you can click OK to close the Paragraph Style dialog.

Now you can apply the aList paragraph style to list items. Questions will be at level 1 and the aQuestion paragraph style will be automatically substituted for the aList style. Answers will be at level 2 and no substitution of style will be made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: