OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Adding multiple fields efficiently in a sub form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyningstan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Adding multiple fields efficiently in a sub form Reply with quote

This is more a question of convenience than necessity.

I'm designing a form with a subform. The subform uses fields from a secondary table. Each time I add a new field in the form design module it sits directly under the main form in the form structure shown by Form Navigator. I have to use the Form Navigator to move the new field to the subform before I can specify what field it represents under the Data tab of the control's properties dialog. If I don't, I'm not given the choice of specifying a field from the secondary table. This makes adding a series of fields to a subform quite tedious and I suspect I'm missing something. I can't find anything in the built-in help about this.

Is there a way in the form designer to signify that anything you add from this point on should be part of the subform? Obviously I'd want to go back to adding things to the main form once I've finished designing the subform.

Thanks!
Bayer
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first select your subform by navigator
then you can create controls to the active subform
regards from Germany
Eckhardt
cyningstan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eckhardt.

Unfortunately in OO 3.1 Base that didn't seem to work reliably for me. The first control I created would appear in the subform, but any after that appeared in the main form--even when I specifically selected the subform in the navigator before trying to add each control.

I'll double check everything I do when I design my next form and subform to see if it's one of those things that OO does one day and not the next. I've been finding quite a few of those over the past couple of days!
cyningstan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to think of an edit to my form which involved adding some new fields, so I got to test this earlier than anticipated. I can confirm that selecting a subform in the navigator before adding a control does not cause that control to appear in the relevant subform. I still need to move the new control into the subform after adding it.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

What you describes is right. When it is a great problem go to a version what is more stable. I'm not sure but I think that OOo2.4.3 does work better for the problems you see. But it does not have other things OOo3.1.1 have. It is your choice.

Romke
cyningstan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Romke for your response. This particular problem was a minor inconvenience but didn't stop me completing the form. Unfortunately due to other problems mentioned elsewhere (the unique key auto increment bug) I've decided to abandon the project and remove OO Base from my computer. As I still use the other programs in the OO suite I'll keep an eye on future releases of OO Base but I think this project will end up being done in Access. Thanks again for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: