OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Movies in Impress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
udippel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Movies in Impress Reply with quote

I have prepared a presentation with 3 movie clips, that worked flawlessly from the very start.
Then I copied all 4 files (.odp and the three clips) to another machine, both running Ubuntu 9.10. Alas, on that other machine, when I run the slideshow, 2 of the 3 are not doing anything, while one plays the sound track.

I found the many posts on JMF; but it seems that first machine, which displays everything nicely just by linking to the files, does not have any installed!?:
$ sudo updatedb
$ locate -i jmf
$

Now I wonder what is actually missing on that second machine?
Here are the IDs:
Linux box1 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux box2 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
So the only difference seems i386 versus amd64.

Also, Java is identical:
(box1, playing all:)
$ dpkg -l | grep java
ii java-common 0.30ubuntu5 Base of all Java packages
ii sun-java6-bin 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
ii sun-java6-jdk 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
ii sun-java6-jre 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
ii sun-java6-plugin 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

(box2, not playing:)
$ dpkg -l | grep java
ii java-common 0.30ubuntu5 Base of all Java packages
ii libhsqldb-java 1.8.0.10-2ubuntu1 Java SQL database engine
ii libservlet2.4-java 5.0.30-8ubuntu3 Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 Java library.
ii openoffice.org-java-common 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1 full-featured office productivity suite -- arch-indepen
ii sun-java6-bin 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
ii sun-java6-jdk 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
ii sun-java6-jre 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture
ii sun-java6-plugin 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

I tried to play all the three files, and thy all play properly on the second box, through mplayer.

How can I get them playing at a slide presentation?

Uwe
udippel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies in Impress Reply with quote

udippel wrote:
I have prepared a presentation with 3 movie clips, that worked flawlessly from the very start.
Then I copied all 4 files (.odp and the three clips) to another machine, both running Ubuntu 9.10. Alas, on that other machine, when I run the slideshow, 2 of the 3 are not doing anything, while one plays the sound track.

I found the many posts on JMF; but it seems that first machine, which displays everything nicely just by linking to the files, does not have any installed!?:
$ sudo updatedb
$ locate -i jmf
$

Now I wonder what is actually missing on that second machine?
Here are the IDs:
Linux box1 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux box2 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
So the only difference seems i386 versus amd64.

And one more:

After fiddling with that silly JMF on Ubuntu, I found it.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
and here , suddenly as well as immediately, everything works likewise.
You can easily see if it works: When you get some 'audio-ear' in the slide preview, it won't. After the install as above, the media are replaced with a '?' in the slide, and then it works perfectly well.

I guess, with a bit of further fiddling of the packages coming with ubuntu-restricted-extras, a more general solution could be derived; one that can be applied on all distros.

HTH, Uwe
udippel
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Not any longer, alas ... Reply with quote

As of today (at least) this seem to be not true any longer, on Ubuntu 10.10.
I had this running earlier, even on this same machine. But after some update and upgrade (to Maverick), this 'install restricted' tip doesn't work any longer, and I'm back at zero w.r.t. inserting movie-clips into my ODPs.

Sad,

Uwe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: