OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.1Beta - Windows cannot find ooowriter.exe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: 1.1Beta - Windows cannot find ooowriter.exe Reply with quote

Previously I had 1.0.2 installed on Windows 98. Today I installed 1.1Beta.

Now when I click on a word doc I get the error: "Windows cannot find ooowriter.exe"

I have tried and I can not find it either. Previously I had desktop shortcuts to ooowriter.exe and ooocalc.exe

What do I have to do to make it open a word doc when I click on it ? I have already deleted and re-installed it making sure that I selected it as the default application for:
MS Word
MS Excel
MS Powerpoint
but not for HTML.

Regards ............. Vok
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With the OOo1.1 beta there were a number of fundamental changes. For example, to access setup to repair you now do it via Windows Explorer. Executable locations and names have now changed, so you can delete your old shortcuts.

To deal with your issue, click once on the icon of (say) a word document. Then press the shift key whilst at the same time right clicking. You will see the "open with" option. Select that. Then in the resulting dialog box select "other" and the navigate to the OO\program directory. For a Word document, select the writer module, for excel, calc. Check the box "always open with.....".

Done!

I had this issue with the 1.1 beta. I don't know why it happens, but suspect that, like most people, you probably didn't want to uninstall 1.0.2 until you were happy with the new one, and poor old Windows might have got confused, which it can now and then.

By the way, how did you uninstall OOo 1.0.2, with OO setup, or via Windows add\remove?

Ian
vok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian
Thanks very much. I used the sequence you suggested to select not writer or calc but soffice for all 3 .doc .xls and .pps It works just fine. I did not find writer or calc.

Prior to installing 1.1Beta I removed 1.0.2 Using the windows add/remove, I guess that was my mistake.
Thanks again ............. Vok
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I guess your uninstall method may have contributed.

One thing you should do is go into windows\application data\sversion.ini and remove the reference to OOo1.0.2.

If you decide the 1.1 beta isn't for you and want to reinstall 1.0.2, you will need to delete that reference as you won't be able to reinstall with it there.

Ian
vok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reference to 1.0.2 has already gone. The entire content of the file is:
------------------
[Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.1Beta=file:///C:/Program%20Files/OpenOffice.org1.1Beta
------------------
Looks like I am in good shape, thanks ............ Vok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: