OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

paragraph references

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commo1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: paragraph references Reply with quote

Hello, new to forum.

Does anyone know how to refer to a paragraph in a way that would change the reference paragraph number when the paragrph number changes?

example: I have 99 paragraphs in a document, with paragraph numbering taking care of assigning numering to each given paragraph. I have a statement in par. 50, which refers to "as stated in paragraph 46". If I insert a new paragraph at, say 20, paragraph 50 becomes 51, but the paragraph I want referenced is no longer 46, it's 47. How could it autimatically be made to reflect the changes in numbering?

Thanks.
Iannz
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For outline numbered paragraphs there is text filed called chapter and you use it to return the number of the paragraph. To be able to use it the paragraph needs to be either bookmarked or use a set reference. Some people have commented about bookmarks not being as reliable as set references so these are used by way of preferance. To make life easier assigning such references I wrote a macro which is in a document called OutlineCrossRef3.sxw which is available from http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/ The document has instructions for its use and installation.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development_basic a wiki about writing OpenOffice.org extensions.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iannz, I think you are confusing between Outline numbering and Numbered lists here. Outline Numbering, applied using Tools Outline Numbering, can directly be cross referenced. In contrast, the number of Numbered Lists cannot be crossreferenced currently and that has been filed as an issue.

In the case of the original poster, I would suggest to use number ranges instead.

Insert your paragraph numbers as automatic "Number Ranges". These numbers are automatically updated, and they can also be immediately reference to. Only drawback is that you need to insert the number field manually once, but this can be easily done copying an already existing number or after creating an autotext entry.
Iannz
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
Iannz, I think you are confusing between Outline numbering and Numbered lists here. Outline Numbering, applied using Tools Outline Numbering, can directly be cross referenced. In contrast, the number of Numbered Lists cannot be crossreferenced currently and that has been filed as an issue.

My apologies - how does one directly cross reference to outline numbering other than by using set references or bookmarks?

However, I can see how to do ftack's suggestion using number fields:
1. Insert > Fields > Other... > Variables > Number Range
2. giving a new name such as paragraph,

that you can then cross reference to that number by:
Insert > Cross Reference > number field as specified in step 2 above
select number in middle list box
select number in right list box
Click Insert

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development_basic a wiki about writing OpenOffice.org extensions.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ianzz, indeed I was wrong: while you can reference outline numbers, you can't without inserting bookmarks first. So this leaves the option of using Range Numbers as the fastest approach for the problem. I've seen, Ianzz, that you already have your interim solution before this is build-in into OOo (http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=25072).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: