OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

ASCII Filter Options and lost document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insanekat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: ASCII Filter Options and lost document Reply with quote

Hello, so I've checked a lot of other topics with this issue but haven't had any luck. Perhaps it's a lost cause but I thought I'd try anyway.

So I was working on my term paper when my computer froze, I restarted, then went to open the document, clicked recover and it came up with the ASCII Filter Options dialogue box. Then when trying to go through these steps, I was faced with a bunch of jumbled mess etc.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 with Open Office 3.1.

I already looked for a backup with no results, already tried changing the file extension name to a zip with no results, tried renaming the file type, tried designating it with no file type, tried to go into Properties > Open With with nothing. I think that's all I have tried with still no luck... So is this a lost cause or can someone help?
Docdespair

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: ASCII Filter Reply with quote

I have also lost large amounts of course work.No computer freezing just saved the document like I have always done and so far have lost 2 large documents. I have tried all the different standards e.g. Unicode etc to no avail. Noticed on a couple of occasions that when I checked the Properties->Advanced that the encrypt box was ticked (not by me) but looking at the files later the tick had disappeared. Has the file been encrypted when I didn't ask it to be? can I recover it if it has been encrypted? Other course files ok. Desperately need help as deadlines approach and I will have to completely re-type the whole file. Sad
Docdespair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: ASCII Filter Reply with quote

Further to my previous posting I suggest you download this piece of freeware software from this site
www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm
This permits you to look at the Hex values of the file. If you look at the right hand screen you will see the decoded values of the hex values in the left hand screen. If, like my docs it is gobledegook, I'm afraid the file is unrecoverable. This is the case in both my files. Looking at the files in OO Writer, check the box at the upper left and see if it has "pre formatted text" in the box. Don't know where this comes from as help does not cover it and a normally saved document does not give this option.
I know this is not much help, but at least you will know to start typing now before the deadline. If you do not require the special formatting and it is a large file, split it down and print before saving, it seems to affect large files. Alternatively and I cringe to suggest it, use the very basic Wordpad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: