OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Decimal Places

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Decimal Places Reply with quote

By default, when I type a number into a Calc cell, it appears rounded to two decimal places. I have found out how to change the maximum number of decimal places to a higher number, but doing this displays trailing zeros after all numbers.

Is there any way I can format cells so that a number is shown with as many decimal places as required, upto a specified maximum, without trailing zeros? This would be equivalent to 'General' in MS Excel. Also it would be nice if irational numbers such as pi were rounded to as many decimal places as will fit in the celll.
tburcham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Is this what you were looking for? Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
Try this as a user-defined format:
#.################
Is this what you were looking for?

tburcham
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more like it, but what really wanted was a format which also rounds the number to fit in the cell, if the string with that many decimal places is too long. Maybe OOo Calc is not mature enough to offer that option yet.
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools Options Spreadsheet Calculate: change Decimal places to 8 or more. Believe me, this is what you were looking for. Wink It is a rather stupid default to have general format numbers displayed with only two decimals.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still causes the same problem, though. That is that numbers too long to fit in the cell are represented as ###, rather than rounded to fit the space.
m3L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurection a long dead post here but oh well,

I'm looking for something similiar, a format the will put in as many decimal places as needed, but no more than nessisary - the same as General, but with using '()' instead of '-' for negative numbers and also commas as seperators, the closest ive come is:

#,###.######;(#,###.######)

this works ok, but these always puts in the '.' even when there are no decimals. ie '12' shows up as '12.' and even '0' shows up as '.'

oh. . . nevermind I just found it, i'll still post it here because I spent so much time looking for it:

#,##0.######;(#,##0.######)

but wait '-12' is still showing up as '(12.)'

Also I'll agree with Ed rounding 'til a number fits is alot more useful than showing ###
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Decimal Places Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Is there any way I can format cells so that a number is shown with as many decimal places as required, upto a specified maximum, without trailing zeros?

Curious. Programs do what programmers want them to do. I have an additional question, as I was digging around with this. I thought I'd play with strings to see what came up, and was surprised and so got no further. Entering Pi to include 20 decimals, I thought I'd try finding the TEXT() value from that, and then intended to play with that. But it rounded automatically to 4 decimal places. That is if A1 has 3.14159...(to 20 decimals), then B1, with =TEXT(A1) showed 3.1416. Why not the full extent of the number?

David.
liv2cod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find the number formatting pretty lacking. At our company we have data which spans a large dynamic range. Some columns have numbers in the range 0..10 right next to columns that are 0..10e-12. The "general" format rounds many cells to "0" which is completely wrong behavior. The default decimal settings of 2 places is also troublesome. I think the people who came up with this formatting model are thinking of monetary values.

I'd also love to see an "engineering" model for scientific formats where exponents are held to multiples of three, i.e. 10^0, 10^3, 10^6. This is a natural way of expressing values that are in MHz, km, milliseconds, etc.
ubundom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Decimal Places Reply with quote

Thanks to ftack for the OOo Tools->Options->Calculate->Decimal Places set to 8 tip! I couldn't for the life of me work out why the edit bar was showing 1.45 and I knew that the cell contained 1.4519871270. Fiddling with Format->Cells->Numbers didn't help at all ... phew!

What is puzzling me is that if I have a number format of 0.000;-0.000;"- " then the edit bar will show the value rounded to 8 dp: 1.45198713. If I leave the format as 0.000;-0.000 then the edit bar will show the full unrounded value: 1.4519871270. This seems to be inconsistent behaviours, maybe it is fixed in 3.0.0?

Meanwhile the cell show the correct 1.452.

Surely the value displayed in the edit bar shouldn't be affected by a format code!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: