OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Change default colour used to display selected text?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Change default colour used to display selected text? Reply with quote

Hello Very Happy

Is it possible to change the colour used by Writer 3.1.1 to identify selected text?

After using "Find and Replace" to search for and select text, the default pale blue used since 3.1 does not stand out clearly against a white background. It takes more time than necessary to locate by scanning the page.

EDIT: this is particularly problematic for short search strings and for search targets found in both the Table of Contents (blue text on grey background) and URLs (blue text).

Best

Charles

[For the benefit of search engines: "colour" is also spelled "color"]
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an operating system problem. Is the selected background colour not the same in all your applications?

On Linux the solution would be: System>Preferences Appearance, select Theme and then click Customize and go to the Colors tab.

On Windows I think you need the Advanced Appearance options. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310543
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/ac76cc56-6ff2-4778-b260-8141d7170a3b
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert Very Happy

AFAIK it is not an OS setting. The pale blue colour is not used to denote selection in any apps other than OOo. The same idea was suggested in an earlier oooforum thread (http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=78868) where it was established that the colour is specific to OOo.

It was also established that the colour could not be changed Crying or Very sad but that was prior to OOo 3.1. I am hoping that the colour can now be changed.

Best

Charles
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.1 and can not see an option to change the search highlight colour. However my blue is not really light and shows up fine against a blue, un-followed link for example.
Maybe it is style dependant, on Kubuntu the default style is Oxygen (talking about the appearance of ooo not styles in docs)
If you are using Linux you could try an alternative style and see if it changes anything.
I have no idea if this is possible in windows though.
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter Very Happy

I'm using Xfce 4.6.1 desktop (on Slackware 13.0) and ran through all the Appearance Styles. The highlight colour of selected text never changed although it did stand out with style Xfce-dusk. Unfortunately black text on a nearly black document background was then very hard to read!

Best

Charles
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Gnome on Fedora the background of selected text can definitely be changed at System>Preferences>Appearance, Theme Tab, Customize button, Selected items button.
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
On Gnome on Fedora the background of selected text can definitely be changed at System>Preferences>Appearance, Theme Tab, Customize button, Selected items button.
Thanks for that information, Robert Smile

AFAIK there is no equivalent in Xfce but I have asked on Linux Questions and will update this OOo Forum thread with any relevant information .
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue seems to be that OOo 3.1.1, as installed from OOo_3.1.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz, does not respond to gtk themes.

Has anyone been able to change the highlight colour of selected text in OOo installed from OOo_3.1.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz using gtk settings, via a GUI interface or otherwise -- such as a ~/.gtkrc file?

As described in this Linux Questions post, the issue was demonstrated by watching an OOo Writer window and a Mousepad (Xfce text editor) window, both displaying selected text, while selecting successive "Settings->Appearance->Style"s. The colour used to highlight selected text in the Mousepad window changed while it remained unchanged in the OOo Writer window.
vic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new (potential) OOoW user, I came to the forum looking for help with exactly the same problem, so I'm glad I found this thread. Here, for what it's worth, is a suggestion for the original poster.

I tried out different page background colours (Format/Page/Background) and discovered that using Blue-Gray as background colour made the selection stand out just a little bit better. Most other colours made it worse, but that may depend on your monitor etc. The visibility of other elements seems so far unimpaired.

You'd think that making the selection colour optional would be a pretty trivial task for a programmer. Or wouldn't it?

Edit: I just discovered I can set the Open Office document background colour under Options, which is even more convenient for my purposes.

regards, Vic
catkin
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggested workaround, vic Smile
vamped

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Another Solution Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
I think this is an operating system problem. ...

On Linux the solution would be: System>Preferences Appearance, select Theme and then click Customize and go to the Colors tab. ...

Yes it appears to be OS based. I want a loud obnoxious color for selected text. When I use the above solution, it works, but a whole lot of other things besides selected text change color as well. Then my desktop becomes too obnoxiously loud with color.

In Ubuntu 10.04, gnome, OO 3.2, a more targeted solution is:
gnome-color-chooser > Global Colors > Entry Fields > selected, background -> your_new_color
This changes the selected-text background in fields where you enter text, and in selected text of OO writer!

I think gnome-color-chooser needs to be manually installed.
dooshra
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Costumizing color of selection Reply with quote

Hi all
In order to make selection in all OOo applications more visible, go to Tools> Options> View.
look for Selection-Transparency.
Decrease the value or un-check the check box.
Good Luck
PS this option is available in OOo 3.2 and not in 3.1

Last edited by dooshra on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
vic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was still using version 3.1, but I just installed 3.2.1 and they have fixed it! Thanks to the OOoTeam, and thanks Dooshra for drawing attention to it Very Happy
Vic
lancerkind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Changing selection highlight in OO3.3 Reply with quote

You change it by navigating to the setting for the View selection transparency.
On OSX: preferences. In dialog, beneath OpenOffice.org tree select View. Look the panel for Selection. Play with the transparency setting.

What you're doing is deciding how transparent the highlight box should be.
viper_wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the transparency made selection at least visible on my laptop, but it's not ideal since it's white text on black background. Would still be great if OpenOffice let us change the color within the application it's self (of both the highlight both and the text). Decreasing the transparency is no where near ideal since it fades out the text as well. If the selection box was drawn under the text, then it would have been an option. My laptop monitor needs colors that contrast each other or it's just not visible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: