OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Fullpage background image?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuska

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Fullpage background image? Reply with quote

Is there a way to add a background image that extends to whole page?
I have a document with 2cm margins on all sides. When I select Format->page->background and set an image as a background, image tiles only within the margins. So what I would like to do is have fullpage background and text on it with margins.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT It's now 2009 and there is a better way to do this:
Set all page margins to 0 and ignore complaint.
On the Background tab select the Color or Graphic. If a graphic then put the bullet in Area.
On the Borders tab, in the middle select the thin line, on the left click the 2nd icon for all 4 sides and on the right set the values to the page margins you want. Optional, back in the middle set color to white.
END EDIT

Try setting your page margins to 0 (ignore complaints), do the background image, then create a frame to emulate your normal margins and put your text, etc. inside it.

If you print such a file your printer's built in margins will still cut off some of the background image.

Last edited by JohnV on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
kamote
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply insert your graphic from the menu bar ( insert> graphics>from file )
then drag the corner until the desired size. Right-click on the image, point to Wrap and choose "In Background".

Wink
manuska

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are only ways to make it "the hard way"?

That frame-solution would be okay but I already have nearly 20 pages of text...
The way of setting image's wrap to background might be only reasonable way...although it''l be a pain to tile backgroundimages by hand...

EDIT:
I think I'll use the combination of these two ideas...
Create a fullpage frame, set image as frame's background, and wrap frame in background.
Edu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Backgound Reply with quote

You may also click on right button on the document and select page. Then go to backgound. Select (instead of color) "As graphic".
And now just select the image.

Ok. Its done.
Chewi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuska wrote:
I think I'll use the combination of these two ideas...
Create a fullpage frame, set image as frame's background, and wrap frame in background.

I've tried this but while the frame is there, I can't edit the actual document even though the frame is in the background. Anywhere I click highlights the frame instead of the text in front of it. Sad
Chewi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I've decided to do it without using a frame because a frame won't appear on every page. Instead I've set the page margin to 0 and increased the text indentation. This can play havoc with styles though. This really needs to be sorted out! Just because you can't print that close to the edge of the page doesn't mean you might not want to put something there. This stuff is going to be exported to PDF rather than printed so margins aren't really an issue.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you to be saying that after setting the page margins to 0 you then modify your paragraph style to have say 1 inch before and after text. This sounds like an excellent solution. If you modify the Default paragraph style this will carry over to any others based on it. It appears that those styles that are indented will have to be handled separately but once you have them all under control you can save your new file as a template for future use.

If you don't need a header or footer you can add them anyway and size them to about 1 inch to provide a substitute for your top and bottom margins.
Chewi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've got a header and footer in there anyway so they do the job of the top and bottom margins.

But the styles thing is still annoying. The styles Header, Header Left, Header Right, Footer, Footer Left, Footer Right and Table Content all depended on Default and all had to be changed. And now if you set up multiple columns, the column margins are really huge. It's not the end of the world but like I said, this really needs to be addressed.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have thrown columns into the mix which actually provides another sort of solution.

Say you really want only one column, i.e., a normal page. Set your page to 3 columns and size the 1st and 3rd columns to 1 inch to provide the right and left margins. Put a column break at the top of column 1so your text will occupy column 2. When the text spills over to column 3 insert another column break. (In actual practice it appears that you have to put two column breaks at the top of column 3 to force the text to the next page.)

This same approach works with 4 columns. Strong point – you don't need to fool with paragraph styles. Weak point – editing text will cause your columns to change. Maybe the way to do this one is to complete your document an then go back and add the columns.
Chewi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure are persistent! Laughing Thanks for the tip though I think I'll stick to the indenting method, it seems easier. I'm not actually using columns for anything, it was merely an observation. I'm not a huge fan of work arounds so I would like to see this get fixed but I can hear the open source community shouting "You fix it!" and I would though OpenOffice is a slightly large project for my currently mediocre programming skills.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persistent, yes! This is a question that has been asked on more than one occasion and the more ways to solve it the better. One method is going to suit a specific user's needs better than the others. I would consider a “fix” for this to be extremely low priority and a user can't get his doc done while waiting for one.

There is another solution that hasn't been mentioned so far so here goes. Insert a frame on both sides of the page with the default warp of “page wrap” to serve as the side margins and set the borders to “none”. The drawback of this solution is that the frames need to be copied & pasted to each page (they will automatically position correctly).

I have previously posted a macro that will copy a frame, or other object, to all pages of a document. I have an improved version of this macro that I will post shortly.
Mark Wainwright

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years on and I came across this post while searching for a solution to the same problem. But I have also stumbled across a solution that I think is better than the others (perhaps it wasn't possible back then, who knows?). I dare say the original posters have all long since moved on, but for the record ...

Instead of putting the image in the 'background', which is hobbled by the document margins, it can be put in the header or footer. Thusly:

1. If it doesn't already have one, give your page a header (say): select Format > Page, choose the Header tab and check 'Header on'.

2. Put the cursor at the start of the header and paste your picture or use Insert > Picture.

3. OOo has probably 'helpfully' resized the picture. Choose Format > Picture and choose the Type tab, and press 'Original size'. (Don't choose the inviting 'Anchor to page'. This will detach the picture from the header, so it no longer appears on every page.)

4. Finally, still in Format > Picture, select the 'Wrap' tab, select 'Through' and check 'in background'. Now it won't get in the way of your page text. Also clicking in the page won't inadvertently select it, as long as you click outside the header area. It's true that clicking outside the page does seem to select the picture, but these things were sent to try us. (If it is selected, press Esc to get your cursor back.)

This clicking-outside-selects-the-image thing is mysterious and annoying. It seems from some playing around that a Draw object pasted as a header is rather better behaved in this respect than an image file, but I leave trying all the combinations to someone else.

Hope this saves a few headaches.
Barnoid
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

One annoying problem remains though: paragraph styles with a background. The "background" image inserted into the footer has higher priority than the paragraph background, i.e. you can see the background image, but not the paragraph background. This is epecially "cool" if the paragraph and the the background image overlap partially; then some part of the paragraph shows the designated paragraph background, but the other part is covered by the background image.

Adding the background image as the background graphic of a page style works, but then the size of the background graphics cannot be modified.

Does somebody know how to solve either of these problems?
swaddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all these tricks with the latest stable as well as 3.2.0 RC5 and thi remains an issue.

You can insert a full page graphic in the header, mess with the page margins, z order, etc and the text is nicely editable, however if you right click (like when correcting spelling) in the newly editable text the background image is selected and no context menu is shown.

i've tried many things and only workaround i could find was to discard the full page graphic and change my layout to include only header and footer graphics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: