OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Save As function fails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does the Save As function fail for you?
Rich Text
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Word 6.0
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Rico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Save As function fails Reply with quote

As noted elsewhere, the Save As functions still fail even after loading 1.0.3. I tested it in RTF and it failed to retain my paragraph formattings.

I conducted some tests to see if I could correct this problem. My objective was two-fold. First, I had to save it using a 1/2" indentation on the first line of each paragraph. Secondly, I had to use double-spacing. I tried making this correction in WordPad and it failed to provide a double-space option.

I conducted a similar experiment saving it as a Word 6.0 format. This time I was able to load the document in OO and correct for the double-spacing, but the paragraph indentations never saved.

The problemo is in the two queries presented whenever you attempt to close a file. First it says you have used a process where the formatting can be lost and asks if you would prefer to save it in OO format? But since my objective is to preserve that formatting (in RTF or DOC), I answer "no." When I attempt to close I am warned that some format settings may be lost.

Needless to say, this has put in a hopeless quandary with OO. I am submitting work for publication that requires that electronic documents be submitted in double-space with indented paragraphs. Unless someone produces a quick solution in the next 48 hours, I will have to bite the bullet and purchase MS Office.
dfrench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer much joy on RTF even at 1.1beta. There has been a heap of posting about the perceived defects of this. Apparently the spec that the developers are working to for RTF has been superceded several times by MS and their efforts are focussed on the MSWord native formats. Search this forum and the issuezilla for more detail. Bugs do appear to be accepted where the RTF output does not match their chosen spec.
I can replicate your problem.

However the .DOC format for Word 6 should be ok. The method I chose was to create a style with firstline indent and double space specified using stylist and apply that style to the paragraphs, then save as Word 6. This opened fine in both Word 97 SR2 and OOo with expected formatting (much to my relief as I use this method often).

This is where it gets even more odd. I repeated my testing in 1.0.2 ... no problem in RTF or Word 6 Confused Doc created in 1.0.2 as RTF or Word 6 with formatting as you describe open fine in 1.1beta and Word 97.
Rico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Thanks for the Info Reply with quote

I have been using WordPad for the basis of the RTF test as well as the Save As function for Word 6. These failed to protect the paragraph indentation. I'll check on your info.
Rico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: HTML also failed Reply with quote

I tried replicating the test in HTML and it also failed to protect the indentation.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing failed for me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that Word isn't that much better at RTF than OOo.

If you create an RTF document in Word with a table in it, and open in Wordpad (the MS default application for RTF?) the translation is dreadful.

If it really needs to go into rtf then try this:

Forget double spacing and numbering and go to manual. Try this

Start new document

Go to tools\autocorrect \options and uncheck "apply numbering". This won't affect your ability to use the "number button" generally.

Right click and select paragraph. Then set your indent as required, remembering to put a minus measurement for the first line. Alternatively select one of the numbering styles and modify that.

Set spacing using "at least" or "fixed" rather than selecting double.

You then type in the old fashioned way. Number/Tab/Type. You turned off the numbering to prevent OOo automating the listing process when you hit return at the end of the paragraph..

That should work. Sounds messy but it isn't really and it's pretty quick to type with it. Also, it doesn't bugger things up when you try inserting sub-paragraphs.

Try it.

Ian
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, WordPad is an awful example, is it not?

Try importing the RTF file into WordPerfect, PageMaker or anything else. WordPad ignores som formatting that is does not support directly.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curtz

Yes it is, but it's the application with which most rtf files will be judged - given that it's the default Windows rtf application.

The workaround re numbering is the one I used from SO5 onwards to overcome the incompatability between SO and Word when it comes to numbering. Works equally well for Rtf.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: