OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

no license agreement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellyfiona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: no license agreement? Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to OpenOffice and I just installed it onto my computer.
I followed the instructions but I don't find a license agreement for me to accept.
Is there suppose to be an agreement ? What will happen if there is no agreement?
Should I reinstall it again?

Thanks Very Happy
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org is licensed under the LGPL, which can be found here:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html
http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/lgpl_license.html

If you don't agree to the license (I can't imagine why), then you should uninstall OpenOffice.org. Otherwise, there is no reason to reinstall it just to see if the license agreement comes up.

As an end user, the license grants you the right to use the software however you want to use it on as many computers you want to use it on, and you are allowed to give it away to whoever you want to give it to.

If you are a programmer, you are also allowed to study the source code (actually, you are allowed to look at the source code even if you aren't a programmer, but I can't imagine why you would want to). If you want to make changes to the source code, there are a few restrictions. The GPL says that if you make any changes to the code and want to redistribute your changes, you must make your changed source code freely available. The LGPL allows some code to not be released, but I'm a little fuzzy on what has to be released and what doesn't have to be released. But then, I'm not a programmer.
wisof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Probably not the best place to post this, but here goes. We are currently developing a plugin for a CAD package that would require a spreadsheet to organize info...also would need to be able to read existing spreadsheets. I want to know what happens if a user DOES NOT have OpenOffice istalled? Can we distribute the assemblies packaged with the OpenOffice SDK along with our plugin? We are not selling the plugin, nor are we modifying the code of the assemblies. Please let me know where I can read about the correct policies for distributing the SDK assemblies with our plugin.

Best,
Luis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: