OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't Edit in OOo Database! Here is a quick fix!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianlafreniere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Can't Edit in OOo Database! Here is a quick fix! Reply with quote

Assuming that you know how to access ODBC under System Tools, I just found this solution. Amazingly enough, it only took about 10 minutes of F-bombs before I saw the light.

Now for me, I have a .mdb icon on my desktop. This is an MS Access extension, however since I do not have MS Access (hence the reason for OOo) it shows as a blank icon i.e. XXXXX.mdb.

From the the "ODBC Data Source Admin" window/menu, where you locate the .mdb driver for your OOo application, simply double-click on the driver (the name of the database for which you created). That will bring up the window for "ODBC MS Access Set Up". From there, the "Data Source Name" will be highlighted (this is the name of the database that you are painstakenly trying to create) click the 'Repair" button... That was it for me!

I just bought an Acer laptop, and had to install all of my work programs. I finally remembered how to get database to work, but when I opened it, I could not edit or do anything to the database! While pissing and moaning, I decided to run through the process mentioned, and it fixed it... I'm running Windows 7, by the way... Hope this helps!

Also, for some reason with W7, you have to actually open the OOo application before tinkering with the ODBC drivers for MSAccess; for some reason, the driver for .mdb (and many others for that matter) does not appear when you access the ODBC menu under the Control Panel and System Tools. If you're reading this and have gotten this far, you probably already know this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: