OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page numbering confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Page numbering confusion Reply with quote

I know there's lots of posts about page numbering, but I've tried what's suggested in every one I've found, and so far, nothing's worked.

Basically, I want to remove the page number/footer from a few pages in my long document. Changing the style, as has been suggested, either does nothing or just changes the number to a much earlier one, nothing will just delete the *BLEEP*ing thing. I already had to manually write in a bunch of numbers because some pages were just mysteriously left blank, and I'm at my wits' end. Is there an easier way to do this, please? Thank you.
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say you changed style did you mean the style of the footer or the page style? If you change your pages to a page style with no footer you won't get page numbering in the footer.
you need a page style with the footer enabled, such as default and you also need another page style where you have not added a footer. (all page styles can have a footer if you insert one so insert one into a page with default style, say, and don't insert one into your other style)
Now at the end of a page that precedes the page not needing a page number, insert a manual page break and specify the footerless page style to follow. When you want numbering to resume, insert another page break and specify default again. The numbering will carry on, including the un-numbered pages unless you specify a page number to start on.
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried doing that, changing it to Default, to Standard, to First Page, anything. All it does is stick another page in there and move the number up one higher.

Okay...is there a way I can remove all the numbers without affecting any of the text, then just type the numbers in manually and leave the ones I want blank blank? Doing this for over 600 pages seems easier than anything else at the moment. Thank you for replying, btw...
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You change page styles for existing pages as follow.

Place you cursor in the first paragraph of the page you want to change and do Format > Paragraph > Text Flow tab. In the Breaks section check both boxes and by the second one select the new page style.

You shouldn't have to do anything manually in your 600 pages to get the page numbering to be correct. You should tell us if you happen to use a page number Offset (a way to get into trouble).
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I tried exactly what you said, and all the text on the page I did it on jumped down to the next page and left a blank one. The new page is not numbered, but the blank one is. ???? Huh.

I know, numbering manually seems like an insane thing to do when one has technology, but seriously, anything to end this...
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you put the manual break at the top of the page not the bottom
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried doing it at the top and the bottom, and to different page styles. The page I'm on just keeps getting pushed down one page, I can't get rid of the number.

GAH...
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get a blank page with text pushed to the next page just tap Delete once in the blank page. The text should jump back up. However, you shouldn't get a blank page if you followed my directions for changing the page style of existing pages.

FWIW, you mentioned the First Page style and you should be aware that it is, by default, set to be followed by the Default page style so you don't want to use it if you want several succeeding page to be the same style.
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To JohnV:

Thank you...I tried what you suggested with the Delete key, but it does absolutely nothing.

Er, seriously, is there a way to just do this manually? I seem to fail at doing it the smart way.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athlynne wrote:
To JohnV:

Thank you...I tried what you suggested with the Delete key, but it does absolutely nothing.

Er, seriously, is there a way to just do this manually? I seem to fail at doing it the smart way.

Yes there is but you don't want to know. Twisted Evil Seriously you probably could do something manually but if you want have a look at url=http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Chapters]OpenOffice.org 3 User Guides[/url]

Chapter 14 of the Writer Guide. I suspect that any experienced user of OOo would think you insane to try but it probably can be done.

Let's for a start just ignore your current document. It is too big and unwieldy to play with

Try this to get a feeling for how page styles are used in formatting.

Start a new document.

Create three new page styles: Call them Red, Green, Blue.

In Red set Next Style to Red

In the Red Style set the background to Red
Set Header on, Footer on.

Repeat for Green and Blue, using the obvious colour backgrounds.

Apply the Red style for the first page.

With the cursor in the header
INSERT > Field > Page number

Add in some text to give us a couple of Red pages You can use the built-in text by hitting dt F3 a few times.

Now somewhere in page 1 place the cursor in the text and do
INSERT > Manual Break > PAGE > choose Blue as the new style.

The text after the cursor should now appear on new page with a blue background and without a page number.

Just for fun insert a manual break and apply the Green Style and ,rather than a page number, insert the date. INSERT > Field >DATE

Now insert a manual break and apply the Red Style again.

What you should now have is in sequence is:
a Red first page with a page number (1) in the header
a Blue page with nothing in the header
a Green page with the date in the header
a Red page with a page number (4) in the header.

Does this help to give you an idea of how page styles and numbering works?
Athlynne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Smile Yes, I think I have a better idea about how this works now, thank you!

Er, just one thing, though. My second red page disappeared as soon as I set the style to Blue. That shouldn't have happened, should it? I had text on both red pages, as you said to do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: