OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Really Urgent!! Some format error -> I cant open a docume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schlingel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Really Urgent!! Some format error -> I cant open a docume Reply with quote

I just tried to open my final exam work file and i just got the following error:

I have absolutely no time left and if i cant restore this document all my work i have done up to today will be destroyed (i have to give the work to my teacher next monday and there is still much work to do).

So please help me!

Can anyone please contact me as fast as possible either by email: open-office@schlingel.de or via icq: 30408673.

That would really help me a lot!
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Copy file to another location
2. Re-name it a zip file
3. Open it and extract the file that says "content"
Your typing will be in there somewhere. Just copy and paste to another document.
Thats all I know what to do.
schlingel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Shit! Reply with quote

Thats what I tried to do first! But nope! theres a crc error in content.xml I worked around and finally managed to expand it.

In content.xml all the words are happily mixed and some letters are the same, i can throw that right into the trashcan!

It was just 2 weeks of work and now, i have to redo all thin within 6 days but who cares.

I will use indesign again, its unhandy for typing but what the hell !
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crc error could mean that the physical copy of your file on disk got damaged. This may have happened outside of OOo due to bad blocks on your disk or perhaps in the compression mechanism of OOo. If the file is damaged, recovery of content is quite difficult. If it's a bug in the formatting code and the file is not damaged, it should be recoverable.

You might submit your file to Openoffice.org to see if someone there can help. You can also post a link to your file here if you're comfortable (or via a private message to me or another user).

One way to avoid situations like this is to do an occasional "save as" and save your changes to a new file. So, on your hard drive, you might have doc1, doc1.1, doc1.2, etc. These multiple copies allow you to go back to a previous version if disaster strikes.
Schlingel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to extract the content.cml out of the package but the crc erro is exactly in that file, the others were easy to decompress, i switched my extraction program to "ignore errors" and extracted it but everything was destroyed, the text looked like it was written by a 2 year old kid knowing a few words.
now i adviced oo to save every minute and a script makes a copy every 5 minutes.

hopefully this is save.
rhone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be having hardware problems. When compressed files go bad, the hardware is usually to blame. Have you noticed other data integrity problems on your system? Poor data integrity can result from a bad hard drive, bad memory or even an overheated cpu.
Schlingel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately (maybe luckly) that file is the only one. After all it seems that i have to redo my work, thanks for your support folks!
Vlad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Really Urgent!! Some format error -> I cant open a do Reply with quote

I have problem with broken sxw-file. All file was good but the endings was missing.
www.pkware.com/download/ and then appnotes gives me understud that missed
"End of central dir record" and the last file record.

All was fixed by zip -F <file>.sxw.zip.
This option (-F) can be changed to -FF (more strong action).
But I think it can help if demage is not very big. OK, you can try.

[/b]Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: