OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Moving OOo Base Front End to Different MySQL DB's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripedtomato
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Moving OOo Base Front End to Different MySQL DB's? Reply with quote

While learning to connect OOo to my MySQL server I think I have run into a snag.

Of the tutorials I have run across, they all mention how to connect a new OOo Base front end to MySQL by doing: File>New>Database, but none of them mention a way to connect a current OOo Base front end to MySQL. Surely there is a way to do this.

I have already created a OOo front end and have been using the back end of OOo for data storage, but now I would like to move my data into MySQL while still using my current OOo front end.

Is there a way to connect an existing OOo front end to a MySQL database? How would a person move an existing OOo front end to different MySQL databases if needed, without doing: File>New>Database in OOo?

I'm assuming I'm missing something simple.

Last edited by stripedtomato on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try database menu:Edit>Database>...
stripedtomato
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked into this and the only enabled option is the Advanced Settings, but I did not find anything useful there.

The other two options, Properties and Connection Type are not enabled. Were you thinking the setting I am looking for is there? I did surf around and did not run across anything meaning full.

I am using OOo 3.2.0 if that helps.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving OOo Base Front End to Different MySQL DB's? Reply with quote

stripedtomato wrote:
Is there a way to connect an existing OOo front end to a MySQL database?
Nope. Not from an existing OOo "front-end" to the default HSQLDB-embedded back-end. Viileroy assumed you were already using a client-server setup, but in context it becomes clear that you are running an embedded setup (HSQLDB-embedded) and want to migrate to client-server and use MySQL as the back-end.
stripedtomato wrote:
How would a person move an existing OOo front end to different MySQL databases if needed, without doing: File>New>Database in OOo?

I'm assuming I'm missing something simple.

Well "simple" is a relative term, depending upon your patience and determination. Migration between two different RDBMS's (HSQLDB and MySQL) will invariably have some issues, since no two RDBMS's are exactly alike. You will need to do "File>New>Database>Connect to an existing database" in OOo -- but that comes later in the sequence -- and it doesn't mean you have to recreate everything. In fact, you may not need to recreate anything except your table-relationships and indices. It may be as "simple" as drag&drop between instances of Base while stepping through the various Wizards along the way -- but I haven't tried MySQL migration...yet.

You might want to read/skim through HSQLDB to H2 migration to get an idea of what's involved and the sequence of the steps you'll be taking.
stripedtomato
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Moving OOo Base Front End to Different MySQL DB's? Reply with quote

Quote:
Villeroy assumed you were already using a client-server setup, but in context it becomes clear that you are running an embedded setup (HSQLDB-embedded) and want to migrate to client-server and use MySQL as the back-end.
Yes, you are correct, I am wanting to migrate the default OOo setup (HSQLDB-embedded) to a MySQL back-end and an OOo front-end, I guess my original post was not as clear as I thought.

Quote:
Well "simple" is a relative term, depending upon your patience and determination. Migration between two different RDBMS's (HSQLDB and MySQL) will invariably have some issues, since no two RDBMS's are exactly alike.
Yes, I was excepting some issues with the transition from an embedded DB to a client /server DB, I just was not sure to what extent my table-relationships and indices were going to have to be modified. Even if half of the table-relationships are drag and drop, that would be a big win.

Quote:
You will need to do File>New>Database>Connect to an existing database" in OOo -- but that comes later in the sequence.
Ah, thank you for the clarification. I was thinking File>New>Database was involved at the beginning of the process somewhere, but since my options were grayed out, I had was not able to tell.

Quote:
You might want to read/skim through HSQLDB to H2 migration to get an idea of what's involved and the sequence of the steps you'll be taking.
I took a look at the H2 web site and it looks more promising than MySQL. Thanks for the lead on this one, I am going to research this a little further.

Thanks for your help!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving OOo Base Front End to Different MySQL DB's? Reply with quote

myself wrote:
...In fact, you may not need to recreate anything except your table-relationships and indices. It may be as "simple" as drag&drop between instances of Base while stepping through the various Wizards along the way -- but I haven't tried MySQL migration...yet.

Just to clarify. All your tables, queries, forms, and reports should migrate through drag&drop while stepping through the popup Wizards. Table-relationships are setup through an additional process using the point&click GUI. See: Tools > Relationships...
Likewise, you can optionally setup indices for your tables by Right-click (a table) > Edit > Tools > Index Design...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: