OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Footnotes and Endnotes (Part solved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVB
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Footnotes and Endnotes (Part solved) Reply with quote

I've just searched the forum on this topic, and have seen various queries about Footnotes and Endnotes, most more complex than these, some with solutions, some not.

1. You click Insert > Footnote/Endnote. Why is Footnote the default? i.e if I click OK it gives me a Footnote. If I want an Endnote I have to click Endnote, then OK.
These days the vast majority of articles and books require endnotes, not footnotes. Is it possible to change the default? By the tenth, let alone the hundredth time I've had to make two clicks instead of one, it really starts grating. Could we at least be given the option of which is the default choice?

2. I write books with each chapter (with its endnotes) in a separate document of a manageable length. But apart from some academic books (collections of essays) it's usual to have all the endnotes together (but numbered separately for each chapter) at the end of the book. I can copy all the chapters into one massive file, but then all the endnotes become one massive list as well. The solution would be to be able to copy all the numbered endnotes in one go from each chapter, in order to create a document containing all the endnotes chapter by chapter. I'm now writing my fourth and fifth books using OOo Writer, and I haven't yet found a way of doing this. Is there one?

Last edited by DVB on Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re 1: See this issue. Seven years old, that's not very encouraging.

Re 2: A glance at the settings dialog box for footnotes and endnotes tells me that there's no option to count endnotes per chapter or page, it's just one continuous numbering. Haven't checked the issue tracker on this yet.
DVB
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly grind the wheels of OOo..............
mgagnonlv
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution/workaround: customize your work environment. Here is what I would do if I were using endnotes (menus translated from French):

Tools –> Customize, then select the Menus tab

Menu : Insert
Click on Add
In the pop up window, select :
– Category : Insert
– Command : Insert End Note

Do the same if you want to add a keyboard shortcut.
DVB
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant -- thank you!
I've added it to the Insert menu list, and have also made Ctrl-N "Insert Endnote directly".
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: