OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Foreign Characters and OS compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg_stephens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Foreign Characters and OS compatibility Reply with quote

My uncle is using Windows 98 with Word 2002. He is an editor for a newsletter, and I am translating articles to Spanish. I have OpenOffice 3.2 (Ubuntu). So I save in .DOC format. He's computer illiterate, so I can't explain that his software is broke

When I send this:
Quote:
Crecí en la década de los 1950s.

He receives it like this:
Quote:
CrecÃ* en la década de los 1950s.

Question is: How can I send it so the character encoding is recognized by his machine?
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am taking a guess that perhaps the problem is that he does not have a unicode font instaslled - perhaps, if you are using a truetype font you could install the same font on his computer?
rg_stephens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that I don't have any common fonts installed, only the open source ones that came with my OS. I installed Microsoft TTFonts so that I could use Times New Roman. I'm sure he has that one.

So, his computer substituted a font that coded differently? I just assumed Word should sort things out
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible (and this is stretching my ageing memory) that times new roman from as long ago as win98 days may not contain unicode chars - if you still have probs try installing your new version of times new roman and see if that helps
rg_stephens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he trys to open it, he just gets symbols on his screen. I found that I can copy/paste in an email, and that works fine. I can't do anything to his compuer, so for now, this will have to do.

Thanks!
Robert
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, you don't need Unicode for í and é, Ansi is good enough for that. Hell, you could get those characters in DOS.

What version of Word are you saving in? Are you sure that the conversion problem isn't at your end?
rg_stephens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well,
He send me the english text in an email, and I copied/pasted to OOO. There were grey spaces between some of the letters, but it was readable. I created two columns, and typed the Spanish part into one column. I then saved it as .doc (XP/97) and emailed it. When he emailed it back, it was unreadable. But, I can read my original file just fine. He's 5000 miles away, so I can't diagnose his computer.

So I guess the copy/paste process picks up extra garbage? Maybe next time I should save it as TXT? Clear formatting?

Robert
Ubuntu10.4
OOO 3.2
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you view the e-mail, does it look okay? You realise that it's possible that you get the wrong character set in conversion from the e-mail to OOo - for instance if you get ISO 8859-15? - when I view this with ISO 8859-15 I do get Ã@ instead of é.
rg_stephens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Does this mean that I need to change my character encoding to match his computer?

Yes, the email looks fine. When I copy/paste into Open office, there are Grey blocks between some of the words, but otherwise, it's fine.

I'm suspecting that his Win98 computer is broke somehow. Everything opens fine for me (except what he sent back), I even tried it on a computer with Word2002. I'm not too concerned about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: