OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can Default "Save to" destination be changed from

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krtf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Can Default "Save to" destination be changed from Reply with quote

Is there any way to change the default "save to" destination from "Documents" folder to somewhere else (e.g., Desktop) in Linux OO Writer 3.2?

This is in relation to this thread:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=375456#375456

Thank you,

krt
karani
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated in the linked thread you just use

Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Paths

and select the path you want to use as "My Documents".
krtf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see that and had no problem doing that, but as stated in the link thread above, it freezes no matter where I try to save it.
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try resetting the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 . Are you using the Sun version from www.openoffice.org ?
krtf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I tried resetting the user profile as mentioned above previously and it did not work; it still froze up regardless of path.

I am using the one provided in the Ubuntu package which, with version 3.2 no longer says "Sun", but rather "oracle", which is what I see it now says on the bottom of the link above.

I have tried it on two different computers with the same result that it freezes regardless of where I try to save it. Tried Mint just in case since it downloads and installs it after the CD OS has been installed, it might somehow be different - but it wasn't; it freezes also.

I finally gave up and installed the new PCLinuxOS 2010, which also has ver. 3.2 and it works fine. But I would really prefer to have stayed with either Ubunu 10.04 or the Mint derivative of it if I could just find a way to get OO 3.2 to work. The old 3.1 that one got last year in the U distros worked great.

Its ridiculous to have to choose a distro on the basis of whether OO will work Confused

krt
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Linux versions often have their own version of OOo, with some enhancements and some of their own bugs. So we normally advice to download from www.openoffice.org.

[Tutorial] Installing OOo on Ubuntu, Debian and Co.

I don't know how many files you're going to save to your desktop and it's none of my business, but do you really think it's a good idea?
krtf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not the desktop; its the fact that I cannot save to the default documents either; I cannot save anyplace because it freezes!

Thanks for the link; most interesting. What I don't understand is why I seem to be the only person with 10.04 having this problem.

I even tried running the live CD 10.04 today and running live, I could not save to the default documents; it froze!

krt
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun has been acquired by Oracle, that's why.
I'm not a Linux expert, but maybe you have a problem with permissions?
krtf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, no. I checked the permissions and they are the same as Gedit, etc., as "owner", I have read, write and execute permissions.

I think there is just something buggy about the current version that is available from Ubuntu and Mint (which is basically Ubuntu of course).

It just seems very odd that I am the only one having these problems, but having burned two CD's both from separate downloads that had the correct md5sum's as well as Mint, and having it fail on all 3, I am satisfied it is some weird bug that is not affecting enough people to excite the Ubuntu crowd.

The link above is supposed to show me how to install a direct install from the OO site, but having downloaded and untarred it, I cannot seem to get it to install properly.

Thank you,

krt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: