OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo 3.2 Linux corrupts special characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copycat

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: OOo 3.2 Linux corrupts special characters Reply with quote

When in Win 7, I created certain texts with special characters like 'é' in Wordpad, saved them as rtf, opened them in OOo 3.2 and saved them again as Word 6.0. No problem there.
When in Linux, I don't have Wordpad, so I type directly in OOo 3.2 and save as Word 6.0. However, if I open them again afterwards, everywhere there's supposed to be an 'é', that letter is replaced by some Chinese symbol, most of the times even taking the following letter with it. When I put my cursor right after the Chinese symbol it says it's one. Why is there a difference between Win 7 and Linux when saving as Word 6.0 and how can I fix this so the Linux one doesn't do that kind of thing anymore?
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the text to a html page made with a plain text editor, save it, view it in a browser, adjust the character set and see if you can get the character to display correctly. If that succeeds, OOo apparently converts to the wrong code page.
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check out this thread.
copycat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how to create a html file through a plain text editor. So, I created one with OOo itself. It says the character set is UTF-8. When I open that in FireFox, the special characters appear completely normal. I would also like to note that when I save as OOo's .odt format the special characters also remain unaffected.

I read that other thread before I created this one. That one also seems to be unresolved.
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the version of OOo that you have on Linux comes with the distro and that it somehow gets the code page wrong for old versions of Word. Just my 2 cents.
The other thread is quite recent, but it's about exactly the same problem. it's easier for the people here if people don't start new topics about essentially the same issues. Now we have to keep track of to threads about this single problem. Please note that we're all volunteers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: