OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

hilfe! das Dokument ist weg!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mary

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: hilfe! das Dokument ist weg! Reply with quote

Ich bin jetzt stundenlang gessessen und hab gearbeitet, und dazwischen immer wieder gespeichert, dann mach ich es zu und er hat die version gespeichert wie vor 5 stunden.

was heißt das? ist jetzt alles weg? es gibt auch keine temporäre dateil und nichts .wie kann er eine alte version herstellen, wenn ich zwischendruch immer wieder abspeichere?????

was soll ich jetzt machen?

mary
Mary

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: help, the document disappeared Reply with quote

I worked 5 hours with open calc. I use to save during working again and again. But when I closed the dokument, it was like it had been hours before!

All my work had dissappeared.
What happened?
What can I do about this?
Will this happen again? I have lost hours of work, I could not find any temporary data!
Can I trust the program - I am working with win98?

Desesperate,

Mary
tburcham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: How do you save them?... Reply with quote

Hi Mary,

How do you save them?... with Ctrl+S, the "Save" button,
or the "File" menu?

Did you check to be sure that the Ctrl+S key combination
wasn't set to start a macro in "Tools/Configure/Keyboard"
instead of saving?

Also when you alter a document, do you see the "Save" icon
go from plain to colored, and from colored to plain after you saved the file?

I've never had it happen to me, so I can't think of anything
else to ask about.

tburcham
Mary

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tburcham

I used the file menu for savings in between. I saved very often, at least every 15 minutes. When I finished I closed the document and I believe I accepted saving when asked. But then he changed everything in the older version I had some hours before!
This version should not even exist any more, because of the frequent savings during my work.

I do not understand the whole thing, and it must not happen again or I would have to return to MS. Sad
it is running with win98 now, later I may change to linux.

Is star office safer than open office?

mary
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary

Your problem is most unusual. Is it possible that you have in fact got 2 documents? This is possible especially if you were working in MS Word format. Every time you click save you will be asked if you want to save in OOo format. One yes click and you have 2 documents. Therefter you will work on the OOo format document. Clicking save will not produce any more warnings as OOo is working in its own format.

If this is what has happened you will have 2 documents with the same name but with different file extensions one in .doc and the other in .sxw. If you have, I suspect the .sxw one will be up to date.

That's my best guess as to what might have happened.

Matters generally, StarOffice and OOo are probably as safe as each other. Windows is not of course. If you suffer a Windows crash at any time, then you will probably lose all your work. To minimise th risk, select tools\options\load&save\general and set OOo to autosave every 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps. Let me know if this was in fact the problem.

Ian
Mary

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liquitator,

no this cannot be the problem - I have no MS office on my computer any more, no excel, nothing, I´ve only got the calc of open office. I started the document in open office calc. Savings did not save my work. I sat half of the night doing everything again and I made several copies with different names not really trusting the whole thing any more!

When I work and save the programm should always overwrite the older version, shouldn´t he? Evidently he did not, instead I´ve got a very old version in the end. Does this mean he did not save although I got a saving feedback? It is very mysterious!

Mary
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary

<< I have no MS office on my computer any more, no excel, nothing, I´ve only got the calc of open office. I started the document in open office calc

Understood. However, whilst you don't have Excel were you saving in Calc format or Excel Format.

<< When I work and save the programm should always overwrite the older version, shouldn´t he? Evidently he did not, instead I´ve got a very old version in the end

Yes, it should, which is why I am so surprised at what you are reporting. Did you experience a Windows crash (which would cause closure of OOo without saving) . Are you absolutely sure that there isn't another copy document on your drive under another name?

Ian
mary

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi liquitator,

i´ve saved in calc, quite normally with the file menu. I was very surprised, too. yes, and after I stopped crying and tearing my hairs I searched for a copy and scanned my whole hard disk for a document with same date and about the same size. but there was none.

pherhaps it is a bug - calc not running well with win98?? or is there some short-order saying "save the oldest version you find and delete all changements since you opened the document last time" ? if there isn´t a bug there rests only the possibilty that I had touched one key too much the moment I saved. but then the programm must create temporary files and i have the impression it doesn´t! confusing story!

mary
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary

I run Win 98SE, and have never noted this problem. However, I do ensure that I set OOo to autosave in Windows (although not Linux) as Windows can crash or close OOo without warning. You should do so too, so that every few minutes you are invited to save your changes automatically.

Your problem? I have no clue as to how it may have arisen. What version of OOo are you using? If it is OOo1.0.2 (which I don't like for a couple of reasons) I would suggest you download the 1.1beta, which I find very stable and with very few reliability issues. That having been said, I cannot recall seeing any problem like you have got.

Ian
tburcham
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: What are your "Load/Save" options settings? Reply with quote

Hi Mary,
What are your "Load/Save/General" and "Load/Save/-
Microsoft Office" settings in "Tools/Options" ?

Another thing to try is doing a save and noting the exact time
on the computer's clock, then searching for something with
that time and date with any extension (even with no
extension). This should verify once and for all if it's saving
something when you tell it to, even if it's to the wrong file etc.
Do you find anything at all?
By the way, file size can vary a lot from one file format to
another, so that might not be a reliable way to tell.

(added later)
If you click "Save as.." it should take you to the folder
containing the file you're working with, and it's name will
be in the textbox in the "Save as" dialog. If there's a file
with that name and extension there, right click on it and
click "Properties". From there you can see if the time and
date and other things are correct.

Also... are you possibly saving to a different drive altogether?

tburcham
mary

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks,

no problem appeared again until now.

@ tburcham: there is no microsoft office. only gates-thing is the windows 98. nothing else. no browser, nothing. might even change to linux after a while. perhaps.

@ liquitator: it was not the problem that I did not save. I saved very often, but somehow the savings vanished. I have got the version 1.0.3.

I worked today with Ooo and it was fine, no problem appeared, but now I create several copys of every piece of work I do besides this very bad beginners experience it is a nice thing! only there seems no alternative to access or filemaker in Ooo.

mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: