OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Document Template

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Document Template Reply with quote

Hi! I am developing handouts and I would like to create a template so that I wont be repeating the page properties assignment everytime I open or make a new document.

Is there a way where i can save the page properties of my document or make a template for this?

Please advise. Tnx!
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Help > Contents > Index tab - Templates. If there is something you don't understand then get back to us.
billbc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attempt to help under

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10232

might be of some use to you.

Bill
fhei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: RE document template Reply with quote

i was actually following the procedure in HELP. unfortunately, whenever i hit the OK button, an error message occurs, which says: "Error writing document handout_temp.sxw as template. General Error. General Input/Output Error."

what could be causing this error?
fhei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: document template Reply with quote

btw, i also tried saving the document using stw extension but i still encounter the same error. what could be wrong?
billbc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my method as posted yesterday does work. Saving as .stw is possible but painful.
fhei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: document template Reply with quote

unfortunately, my problem is i cannot save a template because of the error that i encounter consistently. also, i cant find the "Set as Default.." under the commands; only the printer settings and updates are there.
thank you!
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing special about templates is their file name extension, in all other respects they are regular OOo documents. So, if direct saving as a template is problematic, just save it as .sxw, then change the extension to .stw and enjoy (if you can't do even this, something is wrong with your system).
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a problem with your system rather than with OOo. Have the integrity of the file system checked, make sure there is sufficient room.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only see the Set as Default command if you are in the template organizer, have opened a folder and selected a file.

You can create a template from a normal .sxw file if you can't save as a template. Go to the Organizer, click the Default folder, click Command > Import template. When the pick list appears change the File Type to All files, find your file and click Open. While your there you can also now set it as your default template, if desired.

Can you save a template with a plain Save if you set the File Type to .stw? If so, then I would be inclined to run Setup from the installation directory and do a Repair.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it also be a problem of permissions? perhaps you do not have the permissions to write to the directory where OOo is trying to store the templates. If indeed you are not the administrator of your system, check that out with the person who maintains your PC.
fhei
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: document template Reply with quote

thank you for your answers. i have already forwarded my concerns with our administrator, who promised to look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: