OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MAC to IBM file compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaylord190

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: MAC to IBM file compatibility Reply with quote

If the Mac version of Open Office is installed on an Apple computer, can it read files from a flash drive that were saved in the IBM MS Word format? If so can files be saved to the IBM MS Word format from the Mac computer?
Thanks,
Gaylord
keme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open MS Word files? Yes it can.
Save MS Word files? Yes, but only in the "legacy" doc format. Current OOXML formats (docx/docm) can only be opened, not saved. However, if you save an opened OOXML file in the "legacy" format, MS Word can open it.

I advise against working directly on a USB flash drive. Use Explorer/Finder to make a working copy of the file on internal storage device.
gaylord190

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: MAC to IBM formats Reply with quote

I want to transfer files from an IBM computer to an Apple computer with MAC software and back after working on the files. I want to use a USB flash drive to transfer the files, but I am not sure the file formats are compatible.

Has anyone done this?
Gaylord
keme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MAC to IBM formats Reply with quote

gaylord190 wrote:
I want to transfer files from an IBM computer to an Apple computer with MAC software and back after working on the files. I want to use a USB flash drive to transfer the files, but I am not sure the file formats are compatible.

Has anyone done this?
Gaylord
Yes they are, with the limitations indicated above.
OOo on any platform will read legacy and OOXML format files from MS Office.
OOo on any platform will save files to legacy MS Office formats.

AFAIK, the only platform dependent limitation is the file system. If you have a USB drive that's formatted by OS-X, it may use a file system that's not supported by MS Windows. If you can transfer files from Windows to the USB stick, you can assume that there will be no problem going to OS-X and back again. There may be formatting/layout and other issues when using "advanced" features (unsupported macros, fields, document sectioning, etc.). Those issues are generally due to different suites being used, and not the transition between operating systems.
gaylord190

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Mac to IBM compatibility Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like we will be OK as long as we format the flash drive to the IBM with Windows. You said the the Mac OS will read the Windows flash drive.

Thanks again. You were very helpful.
Gaylord
Sendi2010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is possible I will try to transfer my data also to my Apple, thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: