OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OpenOffice 1.1.2 and Lindspire 4.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice 1.1.2 and Lindspire 4.5 Reply with quote

What are the "complicated installation steps" to load a copy of OpenOffice on Lindspire 4.5? I understand Lindspire's CNR feature makes this easy and free also, but I'm still evaluating Linspire before I sign up for their CNR (click and run) with fees etc.

From a "MS Windows" computer, I downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice (version 1.1.2 - for LinuxPPC), unzipped all the files, where I had two folders (with files) and some other files and text. Next I burned all of this to a CD-ROM. On the Lindspire computer, I put this CD-ROM with OpenOffice 1.1.2 in the tray. Then, I found the setup icon in the installer folder, and double-clicked it and nothing happened. I figured I'd give it a try before asking someone.

I'm new to Linux based programs...and so far have been impressed...been on this solid for about a week. I appreciated the tips. I finally found the console, the run command, and other things...getting familar with Lindspire. Now, only if I can get this OpenOffice working....

I downloaded the LinuxPPC one for OpenOffice. Should I have chosen the other Linux based OpenOffice when downloading? It was something like (x86). I'm so new at all of this.

Thanks so much. Rick
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 Reply with quote

The name is Linspire. So many times people on the internet call it Lindspire. Sorry for the typo. Lindows...Lindspire...Linspire...whatever. Very Happy
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

What is your PC's CPU ? x86 based (eg Pentium, Celeron, AMD Duron etc?) If it is so, then yes you need *THAT* x86 file. PPC if I not mistaken stands for Power PC ? Anyone to enlighten me please. Thanks.

Good luck and have fun.
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right. I'll try to download the other OpenOffice 1.1.2 for Linux and see what happens.

For this Linspire machine, I'm using a Celeron 533mhz with 327mb of ram...seems to work just fine. Lindows recommends a minimum of Pentium III 800mhz, but from the internet I've heard of people using this operating system with as little as a Pentium II 400mhz.

Thanks, Rick
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice 1.1.2 and Linspire 4.5 Reply with quote

Hi,

With the other OpenOffice 1.1.2 (Linux x86) download, I still was unable to load it in Linspire 4.5. I double-clicked the setup icon and nothing happened. I tried numerous other things too with no result.

Anyone know how to load OpenOffice 1.1.2 using Linspire 4.5 without using Linspire's CNR system? There must be a way. Lindows' website mentions that their CNR avoids complicated installation steps. So, we must find those complicated installation steps. Smile

Thanks, Rick
Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.2 Reply with quote

I found some more information....

One way possibly to install OpenOffice 1.1.2 in Linspire is to use apt-get. But in a couple of places, I've read that it "breaks the OS" if one plans to use the CNR again later. At that point, I suppose that a person could just reinstall Linspire.

Does anyone know how to use this apt-get in Linspire to install OpenOffice? Apparently there's a "minor initial setup", and with apt-get it could be successful. Is there a way to not "break the OS" too?

I've got more reading to do.... It's great reviewing all of this.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants Linspire 4.5 for $20 instead of $49.95, just do a search with the words "special" and "Linspire". It was still available for that price yesterday. It would be great to have some of you work through all of this with me, with your own copy of Linspire - to get OpenOffice loaded. Very Happy

I appreciate any help or tips.

Thanks, Rick
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.2 Reply with quote

Well, I made some more progress today. Anyone else?

With the file manager, I got into System/etc/apt/source-list. I uncommented the last two lines (removed the "#" symbol). Linspire tells you that you can do that, but cautions you that there may be later some incompatability problems with CNR etc. I saved the file.

Then I double clicked the OpenOffice setup executable...the one that I saved to the hard drive. Well, something happened. It proceeded to load, and then said it couldn't find the program 'My'. Next I tried the same thing with OpenOffice on the CD-ROM and it said it couldn't find the program "setup". Now, I'm held up again. I don't know if I have a bad downloaded OpenOffice file, or if I'm not doing this right. How do you use apt-get to run a program such as this to load up OpenOffice? I'm just trying different things, one step at a time.

I'm so new with all of this - never used any Linux based programs before this time with Linspire - but I'm learning. For those with experience with Debian, I would think you would be able to make all this work, from what I've read on the internet.

Thanks for any help, Rick
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

I did try Lindows for a short while (a couple of hours I think!) and found it very unintuitive to work with. My primary experience is with Win 98 and Mandrake.

I think the biggest problem I had with it was that Lindows appeared to try controlling\hiding everything. I didn't like it, but that is a personal thing. It is based on Debian, which is probably not the most friendly towards new users, so I am told.

Where did you get Lindows from? If you bought it, then you must obviously persevere with it. However, if not, you might try one of the "big players" like Mandrake (I like the latest version) or SUSE. These use the rpm basis for the main applications, but taking the latest OOo version as an example (for which no rpm is yet available) installation of non-rpms is a breeze. You can get Mandrake free - either from the website or from one of a number of magazine covers. For example I have my downloaded OOo versions simply installed in my home directory. When a new one comes out, I just uninstall via setup, and install the new one.

Whilst I know it's not what you want to hear, I do suspect that your new Linux experience would be easier if you were using one of the 2 distros to which I have referred, or something like Fedora, for which most things work in substantially the same way.

Ian
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.2 Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I got the Lindows OS (Linspire 4.5 Developer's Edition) from a download for $30. I used a coupon to save $30 so I could evaluate this software. At times, you can get the Lindow's standard operating system for free.

Thanks for the information about Mandrake. I'll have to look at other Linux based operating systems too. I'm taking a serious look first at Linspire because, I'll feel that they have an excellent opportunity to develop a unique product, with their enhancements to the Debian based system.

Lindows support team wrote back to me today. This is what they have to say about loading OpenOffice:

1. Click on 'L' Launch -> Programs -> Utilities -> Console
2. Type apt-get install package.deb. Replace package.deb with the actual name of the file you are trying to install.

OK, I got to the console which I had discovered earlier. Is this exactly what I type in?

apt-get install My Computer/My Programs/
Rick's Folder/OOo_1.1.2_LinuxIntel_install/setup.exe

That's the location of my OpenOffice download on my hard drive. Well, it worked somewhat, before failing. It said "Reading Package Lists....Done" and "Building Dependency Tree....Done". Then I had some failures. The last one said it could not find package My.

So, now I'm going to try and get another download of OpenOffice 1.1.2, just to make sure that that's not the problem....

Thanks again for the information.

If anyone else has loaded OpenOffice in Linspire, I'd appreciate hearing from them. If you haven't, then considering giving it a try and let us know the details of how it is done.

It's a quest. Very Happy

Thanks, Rick
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Linspire 4.5 and OpenOffice 1.1.2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well, I did it!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It took me three attempts with downloads of the OpenOffice Linux x86 program. With the second download yesterday there were files that couldn't be copied. So, I started over with a third download of OpenOffice 1.1.2 today.

This evening, at first I tried to load it up with apt-get in the console as Lindows suggested, but it always failed. I don't know what I did wrong. So, I tried something else. I just double clicked the setup icon and OpenOffice started loading up. Of course, I uncommented out the two lines in the Source.List as previously mentioned. I had to install it without "Java Runtime Environment". Does Linspire have "Java Runtime Environment"?

I don't know why it worked...I just got lucky I guess. I also burned the OpenOffice files on the CD from my download a little bit differently...maybe that had something to do with it. While copying the data from the CD to my Linspire machine, I had some error turn up (but it didn't affect the final outcome). I still think there are many bugs in Linspire, at least the one that I have on my machine. But none caused the system to crash. I just get notices of these programming bugs.

But now I have OpenOffice installed on a Linux based operating sytem. Whoo Hooo!!!

Now, I'll be bugging you all about how this all works. I started working in the Calc spreadsheet program and recorded a macro. Where do you find the programming language? I'll have to read the help files closely. In MS Excel, you pushed Alt-F11 to find the programming modules. I'm excited about the programming aspect, even if this programming is in the early stages of development. I think they are using Python, from what I've read.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions from a few of you, who have written. If anyone else has anything more to share about integrating OpenOffice with Linspire, it would be interesting to learn about. I'm excited that in only a week or so, that I've advanced this far. There's a lot more to do....

Thanks, Rick
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

Don't know about the programming bit. My Macro usage is very basic indeed and used only in Writer. However, there are separate Forum Sections re Macros and Code Snippets, which may well save you from reinventing the wheel.

The way you installed OOo sounds like the same way I do it. I always find the rpms available from Mandrake to be a little behind the times and so I always get them from my local OOo Mirror Site.

Java? On my Mandrake 10 the Java files are in the usr/lib directory. Check there first. You should be looking for the initials "jre". It will be fairly important that you install Java if it's not there. In addition to OOo which I understand uses it for some of its more advanced functions (though I'm not sure which!) the Mozilla-based Browser also needs to link to it for effective web access.

Hope this helps. As and when you have queries in running OOo, don't hesitate to come back - there are lots here happy to help.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: