OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Entering Unicode codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bacharach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Entering Unicode codes Reply with quote

This isn't really a problem, just curiosity.
When I insert a special character from the "Special character" dialog box it says something like "U+010C" at the lower right corner. I understand that this is the Unicode (in hex) for this character. If the code is 00FF (255) or lower you can enter this code "manually" with the help of the ALT key - e g ALT+0198 gives you , a danish character - but that doesn't seem to work with the rest of the characters. Is there another way to enter these characters? As I said, this is not really a problem, but I am still curious. I am using Windows XP and OOo1.1.2
Mook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really isn't OO.o specific, but anyway...

On WinXP at least - possibly other NTs as well - prefix the code with a 0 (zero).

For example, on my system (using code page 932) alt+171 gives U+FF6B, but alt+0171 gives U+00AB. (The first is because, by not prefixing the zero, you get the system code page; usually this is CP850 - Western - and the characters are the same as Unicode)
Bacharach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know that there is a difference between alt+0171 and alt+171, but that has nothing to do with unicode, it was the same in Win98 (I think alt+171 gives you DOS (ASCII) code and alt+0171 Windows (ANSI) code), but I was asking how to get the characters with codes greater than FF (255).
In Word you can write the code (e g 2116), select the number, press Alt+X and you get the character (№). Is there a similar way to do it in OOo?
Bacharach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know that there is a difference between alt+0171 and alt+171, but that has nothing to do with unicode, it was the same in Win98 (I think alt+171 gives you DOS (ASCII) code and alt+0171 Windows (ANSI) code), but I was asking how to get the characters with codes greater than FF (255).
In Word you can write the code (e g 2116), select the number, press Alt+X and you get the character (№). Is there a similar way to do it in OOo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: