OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need an extension suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Need an extension suggestion Reply with quote

I didn't see a forum for extensions, so I went with general discussion. If this is the wrong place please let me know where to ask this question.

My Mom wants to move from her palm desktop software to "something" else. She is getting rid of the palm device (it is very old), and moving to a netbook. I already put open office on her netbook. So I thought maybe it would be great to use it for an address book and memopad as well. Some searching finds me lots of things I can install that work with open office, but I don't know how to know which I can trust. And also, I need to be able to convert form the palm desktop to the address book extension. This is palm desktop 4.*, not 6.* And once imported, she wants to be able to print address labels and things like that, which I suspect requires integration with calc or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the write app to use?

Thanks...

Randell
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried this, but, I believe that while running palm desktop, you can use something like File > Export

If you export the data to another format, such as a CSV file, then, you should be able to import this data directly into either Calc, or perhaps even Base.

Note that an extension has a special meaning in OOo, and, I doubt that you need (or desire) to create a special extension that you can then install into OOo.

Yes, you can print labels from data stored in Calc. I never found it obvious, but, I do it at least once a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
randell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am not up on the lingo... so I don't know if extension is the word I am looking for. But since this is for my Mom, not me, it needs to be something that is crazy easy to use, almost like a standalone app that acts as an address book, and helps automate common tasks. But still a an app that is built on the open office architecture. I have seen a few of these sorts of things floating around. But I don't know how to know which are safe.
If extension is the wrong word, please help me with the right word. And if there is a central place that people sell or supply these things from, that would be great to know to.
thanks...

Randell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: