[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

oo.o

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jotus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: oo.o Reply with quote

if this site has anything to do with the main oo.o site, I would suggest on the main oo.o a more professional look.

this site is awesome, and looks good for what it is.

but the main oo.o site is kind of emberassing when i send people there for downlaods and such. it is chinsy.
billbc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What looks more professional? For my part, I detest blinking frames, gaudy colours and other such "professional " effects. It's true that I occasionally have to look twice to find what I want on the homepage, but I think it's better for the administrators to spend their time on content than on superficial things like appearance. ( Incidentally, one of the least professional sites I know belongs to a certain company in Redmond ... )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I do also agree that blinking lights, etc, are pretty lame

here are two website to draw an excellent distinction:

http://gimp.org/
vs.
http://www.compiere.org/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and not to futher beat this topic
but, (granted I am not all that familiar with the culture of open source user's in general, I just know that I use it and how I am)
I think though, it would be fun to run promo competitions and such, to put on the website.

have you seen this demonstration of msoffice on the mac?
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/office2004/movie.html

it is very nice, goes over features, things that office managers like to see - it is more understandable to them as they don't geek speak like most of us here.

I am just saying, it would be fun to create stuff like this, I am sure that alot of people would get into it and enjoy it. most of us are very capable.
jotus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good example, is if you ever saw the mono website

well, it has a newer more professional look
http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html

that is the type of visual upgrade I am referring to
DannyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be helpful to have a more concrete description of what makes a "more professional" appearance. Also, it would be helpful to know exactly what is wrong with the main OOo website.

Any real insights into how to improve the main OOo website are best expressed to the people who maintain that site.

You can join the OOo project. There are numerous sub projects. One of them is the www project which maintains the OOo website.
jotus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyB
ty for clarifying that, I did not know I could joing a group to give input on the website, I will find that group and do so.

again, thank you.
cYcYc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined, so I think I might give you fresh feedback about the main site

+found everything pretty quick and understood what its about
+comments are brief and good to read
+the mission is clearly pointed out

-white space in the head
-no uptodate announcements (standart website layout)
^ promotion events might be a way to get more brains into development
-only four images (3 of them TMs)

Good job anyways @ www project
COMALite J

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Use CSS! Reply with quote

Then changing the look is easy! See CSS Zen Garden for an incredibly impressive demonstration. Note that the HTML (XHTML, actually) of that page remains exactly the same (except for the <style ...> @import "/###/###.css" </style> external CSS file-importing code -- only the numbers represented by the "###" changes), no matter what CSS design you select!

When you've viewed the latest designs, click on "View All Designs" to see more great examples. In the Official Designs, my favorite is #99, "Wiggles the WonderWorm" (yes, Virginia, that's still the same XHTML!).

For those using non-IE browsers such as Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Netscape 6+, Safari, Camino, Konquerer, etc, check out the "Special Effects" section. Those use parts of the CSS2 standards that IE doesn't support, and so won't work properly with it. But they work fine for any truly standards-compliant browser! These effects include pop-up menus, etc. without needing any JavaScript or other programming!
Cybb20
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

it is very nice, goes over features, things that office managers like to see - it is more understandable to them as they don't geek speak like most of us here.

I agree.
I think it is one of the biggest challenges for an office-suite to bring forth a very easy-understandable support, because if OpenOffice wants to be a hit its target must be people that don't know a lot about computers, simple Windows users.
Because the so called geeks, as we might even be, do already use OpenOffice and don't need to be convinced by it anymore.

It's those easy-going people in the offices around the world that need to understand OpenOffice and therefore ease of use is very very important.

I for myself see a lot missing in that sector, cause things are still too heavy to do and not easy enough for everybody, furtheron documentation should not be plain text but should rather be a moving presentation.

Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: