OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

-108 error message?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SB100%Natural

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: -108 error message? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone could help me with this. Why am I getting the error message:

"The application OpenOffice.org can't be opened.
-108"

I get this message when I try to open certain word processor documents but no others, currently it is just the one document. I am using the online storage program "DROP BOX" to save my OO files in. I saved the file on my terminal at work, but when I try to open the file at my desktop computer at home the above message appears. Very frustrating, would really appreciate some help. Thanks. Confused
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can rephrase the question, or, at least clarify the behavior.

You have a document, and you want to open the document. Do you double click on the document to open it, or, do you run OOo manually, and then use File > Open to try and open the document?

If you have a problem double clicking on the document, then, try using File > Open after OOo is already opened.

Finally, what happens if you take that same document back to work, will it open there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SB100%Natural

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitonyak wrote:
Let me see if I can rephrase the question, or, at least clarify the behavior.

You have a document, and you want to open the document. Do you double click on the document to open it, or, do you run OOo manually, and then use File > Open to try and open the document?

If you have a problem double clicking on the document, then, try using File > Open after OOo is already opened.

Finally, what happens if you take that same document back to work, will it open there?

Hi, thanks for the response.

I usually try to open the file directly which then leads to the opening of OOo. I just tried running OOo manually and THEN opening the file. I got a different error this time:

"Filename.odt does not exist"

The preview that is shown before I open the document displays an icon of a blank file which is unusual, usually the icon identifies the file by the program it was created on. As mentioned I'm using the online storage program "drop box" to save the file. I will check again at work today to see if I can open it on that computer. I don't see why there should be a problem opening it
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if OOo is already running, you can see the file from the file open dialog, but, then it says that it cannot find the file.

I take it that the file is not simply sitting on a local disk. Was the file copied from the source computer while the file was open?

What is the file length?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SB100%Natural

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitonyak wrote:
So if OOo is already running, you can see the file from the file open dialog, but, then it says that it cannot find the file.

I take it that the file is not simply sitting on a local disk. Was the file copied from the source computer while the file was open?

What is the file length?

Hi, "you can see the file from the file open dialog, but, then it says that it cannot find the file." yes this is correct.

I'm not sure about the rest. As mentioned the files are saved to drop box. How do i find out the file length? I can open the file no problem on the work computer, just not on my home computer.
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, was out of town.

I do not know about drop box and how to deal with it. Off hand, the problem may be in dealing with drop box (or more specifically, how OOo deals with it from that location). See what happens if you copy to your local hard drive and open the file from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: