OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[SOLVED] Chart grid lines ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Chart grid lines ? Reply with quote

Given that I have a set of line charts, with scales and all, how exactly do I get into the menu that allows me to set the frequency of the grid lines, and the increment of numbers to actually post on the x axis? .

I know there is one but can't find it.

Last edited by Gene45 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double click the chart first. When double clicked, the chart is surrounded by a grey border with small black handles on the corners and edges (no green handles).
Then you can either...
1. Right click the axis, select "Format Axis..." from the contexual menu. This brings up the appropriate dialog.

or

2. Select the axis from the Combo box in the Standard toolbar (this toolbar changes after the chart is double clicked) then click the "Format Selection" button that is immediately to its right to bring up the appropriate dialog.

Then the "Scale" and "Positioning" tabsheets can be accessed.

Ken Johnson
Gene45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong, because I can get teh dialog box that says" X-axis" where the alternatives are:

Scale, Positioning, Line, Label, Characters, Font effects

"Positioning" lets me specify either major or minor interval marks, inner and outer, but not how frequent either get posted.

"Label" lets me specify if numbers posted are tiled, or staggered but no where does it let me post only (say) every 5th number .

In the second set of instructions I turned off all except the standard toolbar, but don't recognize a "combo box". If I use Format > Axis I get to the same dialog box as before.

What am I missing?
Gene45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the menu that says how to change the grid but it requires that I Deselect the Automatic" function. I actually have two charts on the same sheet, One is Auto and one is not. and I can't find the switch.

The HELP function simply tells me to DO IT, (turn off ) with no hint as to where the switch is.
ken johnson
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chart grid lines ? Reply with quote

Gene45 wrote:
Given that I have a set of line charts, with scales...

If your charts are line charts then access to the switch that I think your have referred to is denied (greyed out).
On the Scale tab sheet of the x-axis dialog you should see four ticked check boxes labelled "Automatic" and they are all greyed out. I think these are the switches you are referring to.

To gain access to these switches you will need to convert your chart to X-Y (Scatter) type...
Double click chart, right click chart, select "Chart Type..." from the contextual menu, select X-Y (Scatter).
Now go to the "Scale" tab sheet of the x-axis dialog, uncheck the Automatic check boxes and adjust the x-axis.

Gene45 wrote:
In the second set of instructions I turned off all except the standard toolbar, but don't recognize a "combo box". If I use Format > Axis I get to the same dialog box as before.
I'm using OOo 3.2.1 and my Standard toolbar changes when I double click a chart. One of the changes is the appearance of a combo box from which can be chosen any of...
Code:
Chart Area
Chart
x-Axis
y-Axis
y-Axis Major Grid
Data Series 'a data series name'

I don't know if this depends on the OOo version used.
After choosing the "x-Axis" option from the combo box and clicking the "Format Selection" button I get the "x-Axis" dialog.

Ken Johnson
Gene45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that there is an error in the way OO converts a Line graph to a scatter graph. The scales get screwed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: