OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Different header on first page than the rest of the pages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azebuski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Different header on first page than the rest of the pages Reply with quote

I am a college student whose prof. wants a certain header on the first page and just a page number on all pages after that. I know how to make different headers for odd and even pages, but this isn't what I need.
The first page header must be:

name
course # section #
name of paper

All pages after that the header justs need to be Page : #.
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to do this in Writer. Whenever I edit the header it changes on all pages. I must be missing something really simple.
Running OOo 1.1.2 in Linux.

Thanks for any help!
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how to make to make different headers for odd and even pages, already. Having a different first page works just the same way: for your odd and even pages, you needed different page styles. For a different first page, you need a different page stuyle as well. You could actually just customize the build-in "First page" style.

Look at the style's properties in the Stylyst (if it is not already displayed, press F11 to display the stylist. Click the page styles button and right-click the "First Page" style, then select Modify"). On the organizer tab, next style is set to 'default'. In your case, you'll want to set it to "Left page" (or whatever page style you used for your even pages).

Then all what's needed is to apply that "Firstpage"style to yuor first page (Place your cursor on the first page, then double-click "First Page" in the stylist. Automatically, the next page will assume the "Left page" style, and the next one the "Right page" style, (replace these names with the actual styles you used) and so on.

Now, you can customize the first page to your needs. Since that's the only one using the First page style, no other pages will be affected.
DeCappa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Standard MLA Format Reply with quote

This post was extreemly helpful to me. I just want to add that this type of formatting is standard for any professor that requires thier papers submitted in standard MLA Format. Standard MLA Format for papers without a cover page is:

All pages:
-1 inch border (top, bottom, right, left)
- Double space everything.

First Page: (I'd put this all in the first page's header as described above by ftack)

Quote:
Kyle "The Yellow Dart" Smith (Or your actual, but less cool name)

Professor's Name

Course Title/Number Section #

Date ( ie July 26th, 2004)

A Well Thought-Out Englilish Paper (Or your actual, but less-cool title)

<.5 inch indent> Since maybe like the Middle Ages, there have been many differing

opinions about hustle and bustle. This cannot be denied. It is now my intention to sit

down and play video games for several hours.

.....(or your actual, but less awesome body)

(above stolen from http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html)
===================================================================
Then, on the second page, you set up your header *right* justified lik'a'so:

Quote:
Last Name <Page Number>[
douglasd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Why cant it just be 1 box click to have FIRST PAGE different? Common how hard is that? i dunno why it is how it is now...ANYWAY why is that i had it EXACTLY how i needed it SAVED IT...LOADED it up an now its ALL F*ED up!?@!?!?! i need is first page to be the only page with the LEFT SIDE OF THE HEADER. AND I CANT REALLY FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT its too complicated. IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE......work on simplicity people! and userfriendlyness! PLEASE HELP! ALL my odd pages have the same header as my FIRST PAGE. this should not be! THERE NEEDS TO BE A MLA STYLE!
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please edit your post when you have calmed down a little. Remember that we are just other users, like you, i understand your frustration, but I don't like to be screamed at. Remove the bad language and add some more detail about what exactly you want and how you save your file (in .doc format, I suppose).
ftack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE......work on simplicity people!

For simplicity, use a typing machine. OpenOffice.org is very powerful in automation and that comes at a price: if you first use it, you must do some effort to learn how it works. Only then can the rambling begin (although that is never recommended).
cajunlibra
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is related to what I need, however, I have the first 12 pages using "i,ii,ii" and the rest of the paper is "1,2,3". How do I do this? Everytime I try to change the style of a page, every page changes to that new style.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert > Manual Break > Page Break, select new style and number.
turtledude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Manuel break and it didn't work. I still end up with my 3rd page having the same settings as my first page. The only page that looks like its suppose to is the second page and obviously the first page. I understand we are suppose to leave the Microsoft mentality behind us and learn new stuff, but I agree that this could be a lot effortless if the option was added (click on the box for first page only) because I am sure its not just 1 person having this problem. I eventually had to use Microsoft Word 2007 at my school and this caused me to arrive late to class which I think could have been avoided if the suggestion mentioned was added when I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out how to apply this to the document.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtledude wrote:
I tried the Manuel break and it didn't work. I still end up with my 3rd page having the same settings as my first page

Then clearly you don\t understand OOo page formatting.

Read the stickies and the manuals.

Quote:
The only page that looks like its suppose to is the second page and obviously the first page.

Do you understand why?

Quote:
| understand we are suppose to leave the Microsoft mentality behind us and learn new stuff, but I agree that this could be a lot effortless if the option was added (click on the box for first page only) because I am sure its not just 1 person having this problem.

No you are not. Of course you are not the first person not to even read about styles. HInt: You are not using MS Word. Get used to it or go back to MS Word.

Quote:
I eventually had to use Microsoft Word 2007 at my school and this caused me to arrive late to class which I think could have been avoided if the suggestion mentioned was added when I wasted 30 minutes trying to figure out how to apply this to the document.

While I am devastated to hear that you were late to class I am not all that sympathetic. As you say,"| understand we are suppose to leave the Microsoft mentality behind us "
turtledude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I followed the instructions given to me by both another website and the what the first response to this thread said. This is how I came across this thread. I didn't exactly had to read a manual to use Word 2007 therefore, I didn't read the manual to understand Open-Office since I never really had a teacher be picky about header. And besides just cause you read the manual doesn't mean your going to memorize the whole thing word for word. This is why people ask questions like the person in this thread did because once we learn what we need to know, we will most likely review it over again. So sorry for not reading every Sticky and Manual about Open-Office.

2. No, hence why I don't comprehend why it doesn't work as the 2 post said it would.

3. So let me get this straight, you have a good invention but basically since you don't want to explain how it works your telling everyone with questions that they can't use it? And I don't understand your response to the quoted section...your saying we can keep our "this works this way in Microsoft why doesn't Open-Office work the same?" way of thinking, yet in the end you saying "learn it or go back."...Huh?
I suggested the click in the box thing because yeah I remember the feature this way in Microsoft but to me it seems a lot better if you can cut down the number of "Help!" threads related to this problem with that solution. Not that I don't mind people asking for help, but when people ask for help for the same problem a simple solution might be more beneficial.

4. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know the point your trying to make. I simply said that if the option were simply perhaps i could have saved a couple of minutes from having to use Word 2007. In no way was I look for some kind "best actor" award or pity, I simply was amazed at how long the solution was in order to get this to work.

My aim for the previous post was to agree with another post here that the "click on the box first page header only" is a good idea. Open-Office is a wonderful invention that not only keeps extra cash in my wallet, but also makes things a lot less complicated than it should be (Word 2007 more complicated than its predecessors). And I think that simple in this case would be the best solution. Why should you keep taking the long way home when you just found out there is a shortcut that is just as safe?
Liefde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm afraid I would have to agree with turtledude.
I'm pretty savy when it comes to using software on PC's, but this is just NOT user-friendly.

And I agree, when I used Word I never had to read a manual to turn headers on or off per page.

I don't think the Styles thing is really well designed, sorry, but it just isn't.

It's taking me hours to find out how to NOT have headers on the First Two pages, not just the First Page. How ridiculous is that First Page thing. Then just create a default style that says "No header" and we're happy. The way it can be done now is just crazy difficult!
ss94524

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Page Numbering Solution Reply with quote

After a bit of time using this, I got my desired results by doing the following... (note: illustration uses footers, but will work with headers also)

Create Style Pages for different page styles that you want. To do this,

1. Press F11 to open the “Styles and Formatting” window
2. Click on the 4th icon from the left = "Page Styles"
3. Right Click in the body of the window and Click on “New”
4. Type “Title” or another descriptive name of choice and hit tab. The next line will auto populate.
5. Click on “page” tab and set margins as desired.
6. Click on the drop down next to “Format” and change from the default of “1,2,3” to “None”. Click OK.
7. Repeat for other styles such as Table of Contents, Preface, Introduction, Body. [b] If you desire page numbers[/b] on any of these styles:
8. change the “Format” from the default of “i, ii, iii” or to another desired choice.
9. Then click on the Footer tab and check mark for the Footer to be on.

Now to actually apply the styles, follow this example.

To get this result::

1. Title Page (no page number)
2. Blank Page (no page number)
3. Table of Contents Page (no page number)
4. Blank Page (no page number)
5. Preface Page (numbered starting at i)
6. Blank Page (no page number)
7. Body (page numbers starting at 1)

Do the following:

1. Make Title page style, desired margins, Format set to “None”.
2. Make Contents page style, desired margins,Format set to “None”.
3. Make Preface page style, desired margins,Format set to “i, ii, iii” and Footer set to on.
4. Make Body page style,desired margins, Format set to “1,2,3” and Footer set to on.
Note: If your margins are not the default setting, to keep from entering your desired margins each time, click on the down arrow in the upper right hand corner of the Styles and Formatting Window. Click on the "New style from selection". Then you only have to change things for your page numbering and your margins stay the same.
5. Place cursor on first or Title page and double-click the “Title” page style in the Styles and Formatting window.
6. At the end of your title text, click on the Insert > Manual Break. Set the next style to “Contents” from the drop down menu and click OK.
7. Hit delete one time to delete extra space so the Contents page comes up (otherwise there are two blank pages between). This step may not be necessary.
8. On the Contents page, double-click the “Contents” page style in the Styles and Formatting window.
9. At the end of the Contents text, click on the Insert > Manual Break. Set the next style to “Preface” from the drop down menu and check mark the box for “change page number”, set the number to 1, and click OK.
10. Hit delete one time to delete extra space so the Preface page comes up (otherwise there are two blank pages between).
11. On the Preface page, double-click the “Preface” page style in the Styles and Formatting window.
12. You should see a footer show up now on your preface page. Click in the Footer and then center or align the text as desired and then click on Insert > Fields > Page number. You should see the first page of your preface say “i”.
13. At the end of the Preface text, click on the Insert > Manual Break. Set the next style to “Body” from the drop down menu and check mark the box for “change page number”, set the number to 1, and click OK.
14. Hit delete one time to delete extra space so the First page of your “body” come up (otherwise there are two blank pages between).
15. You should see a footer show up now on the first page of your “body”. Click in the Footer and then center or align the text as desired and then click on Insert > Fields > Page number. You should see the first page of your preface say “1” and all subsequent pages 2,3, etc.

Hope this helps!! Smile
jimasbille

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: How long until someone fixes this? Reply with quote

I have been an OOo user for years but started after my college career. I used Works back then. My wife has now gone back to school and is writing papers so now this is the first time either of us has had to worry about complex formatting and I must say I am horrified by how difficult setting up headers is in OOo.

The complexity not only affects how long it takes to learn and setup but it also affects the transition to .doc. Because the teachers all have word my wife has to convert all her papers to .doc. Unfortunately, when she does that the first page header gets applied to all pages. I have found some possible fixes today but simply don't understand why this horrible method of managing headers continues on despite the years of complaints that I have seen on the internet.

It won't stop me from using OOo but it may drive me to setup a VM with Office in it for my wife. I hate the idea but she has to be able to submit papers that meet the formatting guidelines and she doesn't have a semester to learn what should be basic.
Nadine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Different header after first page Reply with quote

Thank you loads! APA has some strange formatting, so its good to know I can make the needed changes in open office
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: