OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Merging letter and data files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vjaaan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Merging letter and data files Reply with quote

I have a letter form file I created in WordPerfect that I used to easily merge with xls data files. (WordPerfect would convert the xls files to Merge Data Files.) Now I am trying to use OO to merge these letters (since I and working on a Mac now). The OO Mail Merge Wizard does not allow me to choose a data file. The whole process is more complicated.

Can anyone tell me if I can merge a form letter (now saved as an odt file) with a data file (originally in xls form) ---- eventually in a few easy steps?

Thanks.
vjaaan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I also need to eventually save the merged letter document as a WordPerfect document. I don't see that option in OO. Would I have to first save it as Word doc, then go change it somewhere else?
I tried opening an odt document in WP and it did not work.
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving as Word might be your best option, we don't recommend RTF here, it's not well supported by OOo. If you still have WordPerfect, it may be best to continue to work with that.
vjaaan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have WordPerfect on a computer I am not going to be using much. My problem is that I receive weekly data files by email that I have to merge and send to someone who uses only WordPerfect. So I need to set this process to work well on my MacBook Pro (hopefully using OO). My final merged letters must be saved in a way that can be opened by WordPerfect.

I finally found another forum question on merging and I'm reading the good articles that were suggested.

Any other insights will be appreciated.

Thank you.
vjaaan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Still trying.. Reply with quote

I have read the instructions on making a data source file. But it appears I have to do this each and every time I get a new data file. I have a form letter all created now, in OO. Fields are all in place. But each week I receive a new spreadsheet file with new names and address that I need to merge with that same form file.
Do I have to make this new data source file each week?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: