OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Carriage return changes style of prev para

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munchkyn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Carriage return changes style of prev para Reply with quote

This is really weird. I am editing a document that was created with a style template I have been using for a long time. When I am at the end of a paragraph and hit the ENTER key to create a new paragraph, the previous paragraph's style is stripped, leaving it in the default "Text body" style. The newly created paragraph has the style of the old paragraph appllied to it, which is the correct behavior. But WHY does the previous paragraph get stripped of all formatting? Even stranger, sometimes the new paragraph has a "insert page break" suddenly added to it!

I have checked my template many times, and I can't see any option that would cause this. I have reloaded the template to the document, with no result. This is driving me nuts. Anyone else ever encounter this?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this happen with a new document or just with one created from your template?
munchkyn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Does this happen with a new document or just with one created from your template?

Only with documents using the new template. I have much older documents that do not exhibit this behavior. I have looked at the paragraph formatting for both old and new docs, and cannot see any differences between the two. I even duplicated the formatting of the older document paragraphs, to no avail. Every time I hit the ENTER key at the end of a paragraph in one of the new docs, the new paragraph is correctly formatted and the previous, "old" one reverts to the Text body style.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another user's similar problem seems to have been fixed at Tools > Auto Correct Options > Options tab by unchecking Apply Styles.

Does this help?
munchkyn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Another user's similar problem seems to have been fixed at Tools > Auto Correct Options > Options tab by unchecking Apply Styles.

Does this help?

It worked, although I had to test it first to see that it was un-doable. I am concerned that turning off "Apply Styles" will mean that my style sheet is no longer applied. I can't risk losing the formatting for a 600 page document. So, while this did work, I went back in and turned on "Apply Styles" until I am more certain that I am not burning down the barn to get rid of the rats.

Thanks for the suggestion.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munchkyn wrote:
JohnV wrote:

Does this help?

It worked, although I had to test it first to see that it was un-doable. I am concerned that turning off "Apply Styles" will mean that my style sheet is no longer applied. I can't risk losing the formatting for a 600 page document. So, while this did work, I went back in and turned on "Apply Styles" until I am more certain that I am not burning down the barn to get rid of the rats.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You can turn it off. "Apply Styles" has nothing to do with applying a style sheet. Its only purpose documented in help is to is to automatically apply the Heading 1-8 paragraph styles automatically upon pressing ENTER twice if the paragraph doesn't end with a period. It only works "as you type" (it doesn't modify existing text), and only affects paragraphs with the Default paragraph style.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=137782#137782
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: