OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Vertically aligning characters in a line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpehs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Vertically aligning characters in a line Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to align characters vertically in a single line in OpenOffice Writer? Say for instance I want to write a line of text which contains the figures 6 and 4, with 6 directly above 4, one superscript, one subscript. (I want to do this so that musical time signatures and so on can be printed correctly on the page without disturbing the flow of the rest of the paragraph's text. For instance I may write the following sentence: 'this movement is in 6-4 time'. In this case I would want to have the 6 and 4 vertically aligned without creating unseemly gaps above and below the line of text in the paragraph.)

In MS Word I can simply condense the spacing of the superscript 6 sufficiently that the subscript 4 appears directly beneath it. There's a character-condensing option in OpenOffice, but it doesn't allow for vertical alignment of this sort. And when I open a correctly aligned Word document in OpenOffice, the vertical alignment disappears: the numbers still appear superscript and subscript, but side-by-side, not vertically aligned.

There is doubtless a very simple way to produce the effect I want, but I just can't seem to work it out, and it's bugging me. I'd be very grateful for any ideas.

Paul
Philip Epstein
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Vertical alignment of text Reply with quote

Select your cell.
Pull down Format => Format Cell=>Alignment
Under Properties click Automatic Line Break.

Normally this is meant to split text into multiple lines but you can split your material by holding down the [shift] and [enter] keys at the same time.

Hope that helps.
jpehs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, but I can't seem to get that to work.

I'm working in the word processor, and not using tables or anything. I'm just looking to set two or more figures directly above each other in normal text situations (the way they might be set in a book, in the middle of a paragraph). Perhaps it isn't possible.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert a Math object (insert ->object->formula) and type
binom{6}{4}
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: