OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help Needed - Page Numbering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casioOOO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Help Needed - Page Numbering Reply with quote

I have a multi-chapter (multi-document) book. The chapters all use the same template. Taken one at a time the chapters are happy. Together they are a mess. The problem is, whether I use a master document or just cut and paste the individual chapters into a single long document --- page numbering always starts anew with each chapter. Good grief!

I have looked everywhere I know where to look for something that tells numbering to start at 1 even in a master doc, but I cannot find anything. Not in TOOLS/OUTLINENUMBERING - nothing at all is set there. The header is pretty much plain. Some text and the page number field. The header of course is in the page template from which all the chapters were created. As far as I can tell, I am not using FirstPage. Crying or Very sad

Hulp please!
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Page Numbering Reply with quote

casioOOO wrote:
I have a multi-chapter (multi-document) book. The chapters all use the same template. Taken one at a time the chapters are happy. Together they are a mess. The problem is, whether I use a master document or just cut and paste the individual chapters into a single long document --- page numbering always starts anew with each chapter. Good grief!

I have looked everywhere I know where to look for something that tells numbering to start at 1 even in a master doc, but I cannot find anything. Not in TOOLS/OUTLINENUMBERING - nothing at all is set there. The header is pretty much plain. Some text and the page number field. The header of course is in the page template from which all the chapters were created. As far as I can tell, I am not using FirstPage. Crying or Very sad

Hulp please!

You may not be using the "First page" style but you have told it to start/restart numbering on this page. Can you upload a sample file and place a link to it here for us to look at?
casioOOO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my problem is associated with the Tools/OutlineNumbering and maybe something to do with the Heading 1. I guess the Tools/OutlineNumbering should show <none>. I had it showing Heading 1 with the sub-items set to none.

However, I still have a problem with the master doc and, separately, the doc made up of the chapters pasted into to it. I seem to have to delete the Heading 1 and then re-enter it. Makes no sense to me . . . help still appreciated.
casioOOO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therabi, how do I do the upload? I don't see an place that handles it.
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the document to look at it is hard to say.

Try looking at the Using Master Documents guide on the wiki at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide . On the right hand side is a box that lists the documents available, just look for the title.

Last edited by therabi on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casioOOO wrote:
therabi, how do I do the upload? I don't see an place that handles it.

You will need to upload to another place, Dropbox is one such place that offers free storage service but there are others. Once the file is uploaded then you can place a link in your reply so that we can get a copy.
casioOOO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therabi, try this ... I use box.net but I haven't tried sharing. Let's see if it works.

http://www.box.net/shared/on6d5pec7t
http://www.box.net/shared/3hjeuyhq24
http://www.box.net/shared/ivxxrkgn4v
http://www.box.net/shared/j427833b4c
therabi
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box.net worked. I believe that you need to read the document that I referred to in my prior post. Looking at it and your sample document it looks like there is a bit of work that needs to be done. I am no expert on Master documents so I can not give you a step by step process that will do what you need. Maybe someone else here can help.

Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: